1300 Watt Solar Panel Install

Started by Thirsty, October 21, 2020, 08:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirsty

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I hope to pick up my new 28' ATC toy hauler in the next couple of weeks.  I've been told that it is made except for the A/C roof vents.  I am having ladder racks installed by the dealer to have an easy place to mount my 4 solar panels.  I have attached a drawing of my plan.  If you have any feedback or other ideas, please let me know.  Once I get the trailer, I'll have to work out how I will get the wires from the roof to the front storage compartment.  I plan to put the batteries under the bed and all of the other equipment in the front storage compartment.

One thing I have not yet completely worked out yet is whether or not I should get an automatic transfer switch for the 120 volt side of the system. 

Comments welcome.
Thank You.

Jerry

Merlin

Sorry I missed this post a few weeks ago. You're installing a lot of power!

Even with 6 100Ah batteries, the power will go quickly with A/C.

Does that Victron inverter/charger have an automatic transfer switch for 120VAC already in it? Most do.

You may lose some solar generated power by using the Victron 185/85. It has a maximum output to the batteries of 85A, but in your 12VDC system you'll have the potential to get 108A going from the panels to the batteries.

You're installing a lot of very high amp wire and connections in this system. Make sure you have both fuses and arc-fault protection in every path. With the amps you're pulling here, a loose connection arcing could quickly lead to a fire.

Take care, this is a major undertaking with safety being the top priority.
Michigan

nhlakes

I missed this too! Awesome setup.  Love the diagram.  I assume you have verified that you'll have enough real estate on the roof for those large panels.  You have probably picked up the trailer by now. Would love to see pics of the progress!