Myrtle Beach State Park

Started by LANA/LARRY, May 12, 2018, 12:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LANA/LARRY

We spent a week at Myrtle Beach State Park, SC last September and really enjoyed it! If you like the beach environment with a coastal forest background, this would probably be a good choice for you. Facility has a large ocean beach reserved for campers and Park day visitors. Decent biking / hiking trails - none very long but well maintained. Many sites have full hook-ups which wife appreciates! Park is on south side of Myrtle Beach, so plenty of off site resturants, shopping, shows, etc. within easy driving distance if you choose. Have a look at website if it sounds interesting. We are going there again this year at end of May.

One down side is that they require full payment for entire stay at time reservation is made.

Happy Camping!

nhlakes

Have you been to Huntington Beach SP, about 15 mins south of Myrtle Beach SP?  If so I'd be interested in your comparison.

I'd heard good things about Myrtle Beach SP so I stayed for a night when when I was traveling without my wife, just to see what it was like for future use.  The park ranger told me that my camper pass for Myrtle Beach allowed me access to Huntington SP as well, so I checked out both. 

My thoughts were MB SP has much more stuff nearby, the sites are more wooded, but their also spaced much closer than Huntington.   Huntington SP had a similar beach, felt much less crowded, sites spaced further apart, but lacked the shade trees of MB SP.   If I had young kids still I might return to MB, but for just for the two of us, I decided that the quieter Huntington might be better.

From yours and other positive reports, I expect my experience at MB SP may have been atypical.  My site was probably tighter than most, I know my neighbors were louder than most, creeping in on me on all sides (standing next to my windows talking, bicycles in my site, trucks blocking my exit, etc.)  May have just been the wrong site at the wrong time...

View out my window at MB (half the time there were people filling the space between): ;)

ADR

Quote from: nhlakes on May 12, 2018, 07:20:21 AM

From yours and other positive reports, I expect my experience at MB SP may have been atypical.  My site was probably tighter than most, I know my neighbors were louder than most, creeping in on me on all sides (standing next to my windows talking, bicycles in my site, trucks blocking my exit, etc.)  May have just been the wrong site at the wrong time...

View out my window at MB (half the time there were people filling the space between): ;)

Welcome to Beach camping!    Haven't been back to MB in years due to the crowds and general rowdiness- and its getting worse from what I see everywhere. :-[

LANA/LARRY

We will check out Huntington Beach Park during our next visit and report back. Sorry to hear of the somewhat negative experiences at MB Park. We checked out the layout of lots at MB and marked the ones that seemed larger or a little more private, so hope this homework pays off! While we were there last year, MP Park was not too busy... after prime time later in the year, so we didn't feel crowded, had considerate neighbors, etc. Wish us luck on our May visit!

F3Dawg

We stayed at Huntington Beach SP the second week of March. The camp ground is clean but nothing special. However, we had a great time touring the house at the SP and Brookgreen Gardens across the road from the SP. It was a little chilly when we were there, but the azaleas were in full bloom. The beach was very nice, and you are not stuck in all the craziness that comes with Myrtle Beach.

Apollo

I was in MB SP 2 weeks ago and it was great. This was my second time staying there and both times it was quiet and there were no crappy neighbors.

The recent stay I had no one around me for most of the week maybe people don't come down at the end of August  8)

nhlakes

Quote from: Apollo on September 08, 2018, 11:42:02 PM
I was in MB SP 2 weeks ago and it was great. This was my second time staying there and both times it was quiet and there were no crappy neighbors.

The recent stay I had no one around me for most of the week maybe people don't come down at the end of August  8)

That's more like it.  Good to know late Aug is not bad.

Suspect there might be some sites available this week too.

My wife and I had planned to head to NC with the CL yesterday but the map below made her chicken out.  Had planned to camp in NC Sat-Wed (teaching in Durham Mon-Tue) and then camp our way up to Hershey PA for the big RV show later in the week.   I'll now be driving to NC today in my Prius and heading north again Tue night...

Apollo

I have family that lives near the SP so it is always a great vacation, long drive from MI though :)

Wouldn't want to be camping there with a hurricane coming.

Merlin

Quote from: Apollo on September 09, 2018, 11:48:45 AM
I have family that lives near the SP so it is always a great vacation, long drive from MI though :)

Wouldn't want to be camping there with a hurricane coming.

Where in Michigan?
Michigan

Apollo

SE MI  :)