Forum Layout

Started by DavidM, March 16, 2017, 10:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

Paul:

Your new header that I noticed today is very long. It completely fills up the limited vertical space on my laptop, even with the header shrunk. Before I could see the message No New Posts Available on the screen without scrolling. But now I have to scroll down.

I know that sounds picayune, but I believe that too much information up there on the header that you have to look at every time distracts from the experience. Can you squeeze the picture a bit and/or limit the text below. The header as of yesterday was perfect IMO.

While on my rant (forgive me; I am just trying to be helpful) having dozens of RVs listed doesn't seem to help much. How about collapsing all of the minor RV brands (where there are NO posts over two years) into one generic aluminum camper subsection. That would make it lots easier to scroll all of the way to the bottom.

David

rideandfly

We started working on the layout a couple days ago, and it is a work in progress.

Like always, we need and appreciate ideas!

Thanks,
Bill

Paul

I agree that it is probably too big. I will remove the description and come up with a smaller pictures. Me and Bill are currently trying different things. Thank you for your input! I have removed it for now we will try something else later
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

DavidM

Yes, you really collapsed it now. Somewhere in between would be great!

Thanks, David

Paul

Quote from: DavidM on March 16, 2017, 01:00:28 PM
Yes, you really collapsed it now. Somewhere in between would be great!

Thanks, David

Yes I will put something else later today  ;) Bill rewrote the description to something smaller and we reduced it to one picture instead of two. After work I'll implement it!  Thanks again for your suggestion!  :)
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Merlin

To follow up on David's thoughts regarding the usefulness of headings for other brands (Airstream, Adams, Bowlus, Gunslinger, Alto, and Cricket), they already have their own active forums (like airforums.com) or have such a tiny market share that a forum may not be needed. On this forum all have 0-1 posts in the last couple of years. I wonder if you may want to consider his idea of collapsing all those into a generic heading and pretty much recommit this forum to LL owners. No need to change the name, unless LL decides to go all wood and steel, in which case it would become the "Forum Formerly Known As The Aluminum Camper Forum" or FFKATACF. 
Michigan

Paul

Hi Merlin, I think you are right it doesn't seem to add anything valuable to have all those brand represented here, maybe we could have just one board called Other brand of Aluminum Camper if someone want to discuss another brand but the main goal of this forum would be Livin Lite. Alternatively we own the domain name livinliteforum.com if we really want to switch to that name we could, I would keep all domains so they would always point to this site to avoid confusion but we could switch to Livin Lite Forum as official name. We could also keep the current name and change the purpose of this forum to be for Livin Lite only.

Looking forward to get more feedback!  :)
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Merlin and David,

Appreciate the constructive input. Paul and I are busy working on changes today, and if we need to make additional adjustments, please let us know.   :)

Thanks,
Bill

charliem

FWIW, I like the minimal header. It puts more info on the initial screen and is similar to other forums such as the LL site, the RPOD site, and the RV.net site. I also agree that listing the other aluminum campers didn't seem to be attracting many owners. This was, is, and probably will always be predominately an LL forum. That's OK.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Paul

Quote from: charliem on March 16, 2017, 06:37:55 PM
FWIW, I like the minimal header. It puts more info on the initial screen and is similar to other forums such as the LL site, the RPOD site, and the RV.net site. I also agree that listing the other aluminum campers didn't seem to be attracting many owners. This was, is, and probably will always be predominately an LL forum. That's OK.

Hi charlie, Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I think you are right it's probably not necessary to have the other brands represented here. We could have smaller section called "Other Brand of Aluminum Camper" What are everyone opinion about the forum name, we currently own 3 domain name, AluminiumCamperForum.com  AluminumCamperForum.com and LivinLiteForum.com  they all work and point to this site but the main URL is AluminiumCamperForum.com with the british spelling of Aluminium. I want to keep all three URL working but I was wondering if we should keep the current one as the main url or if it would be better to switch to either the american version of Aluminum or switch to the LivinLiteForum.com url.

Thank you for your feedback!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

charliem

Paul,

On the forum name I think the American spelling would be better than the Brit spelling. Back in the old days of radio we used to say an English radio would work if you disconnected the earth and attached a good ground and replaced all the valves with vacuum tubes. That said, and with due deference to our British and Canadian friends, the Brit spelling probably causes more frustration for new members until they catch on. LivinLiteForum might be too restrictive and, unfortunately, the US has way too many lawyers and Thor owns their share. No use looking for trouble if you don't have to.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

rideandfly

Quote from: charliem on March 16, 2017, 08:04:41 PM
Paul,

LivinLiteForum might be too restrictive and, unfortunately, the US has way too many lawyers and Thor owns their share. No use looking for trouble if you don't have to.

Charliem,

Excellent point!

Thanks,
Bill

Paul

Sometime next week or this weekend if I can I'll make the switch to the American spelling, all link in both spelling will continue to work but they will redirect to the American spelling and the users won't even notice ;)
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

gbpack

Paul - The layout of the forum looks great after those changes you made! Thanks for all of your effort and hard work!

charliem

Quote from: gbpack on March 17, 2017, 09:31:32 PM
Paul - The layout of the forum looks great after those changes you made! Thanks for all of your effort and hard work!

Agree. Wrap it up and ship it.  ;)

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller