Need a place to camp to witness the solar eclipse in August

Started by Icstrz, June 05, 2017, 10:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icstrz

Folks I know all the camp grounds in the path of the eclipse have long been sold out, but does anyone know of a anyone renting space on their farm or something that's along the path?  Preferably in KY ot TN.

FastEddieB

We have some land in Lenoir City, TN, just a few miles off I-75.

Should be able to accommodate at least a handful of campers.

FastEddieB@mac.com if you decide to head this way.

Icstrz

I'd love to take you up on the opportunity if you are still open to it.

USCG

I have a hunting camp near Tellico Plains/Vonore TN.  I would let you camp on my land, but the road getting into it is sketchy sometimes, BUT, There are tons of free camping spots and pay spots in the Cherokee National Forest.  Since the eclipse is in the daytime, you could easily set up camp at Indian Boundary camp ground and watch it from the lake.  Or you could dry camp along Citigo creek for free, and then drive to one of the many lakes in the area and have a perfect view of the sky.  I am planning on being in the area and will set up camp either on my land (if the road is ok) or in Citigo creek and then drive to my land (10 mins away) and watch from there. 

I haven't been to my land in about 8 months, so I'm not sure of the road, and I need to go that week so that I can check my mail at the post office.  I've been on a contract since December so haven't been in the states much, just on Sundays when we unload/reload the ship I work on.

btw, you wont find the dry camping spots on a map, but they are everywhere along Citigo creek and other places in the Cherokee NF.  Basically, any road that runs along a bigger creek, is going to have some pull out, they are mostly for Bear hunters I think, but there is plenty so if you go, you will find one

djsamuel

Saw a post today that Big Meadows Family Campground in Townsend, TN still has a few openings for the eclipse.  They have a deal if you book the day before and after, you get the eclipse day free. 

FastEddieB

Final bump!

Just a few days out. Right now about a dozen or so people planning to come, so room for more. The more the merrier!

Plan to arrive with plenty of gas - there are fears that stations in and around the zone of totality may run out at some point.

tco2612