2015 16DB Water Heater

Started by Brad, April 15, 2019, 05:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

I need a refresher on how the water heater in my 2015 16DB operates.  Please refer to the attached photo.  It is my understanding that the switch on the left operates the WH in electric mode and that the switch on the right operates the propane mode.  Am I correct? Also, if both switches are on it will operate on both?  Thanks. 

Powder Hounds

You are correct, and remember you have the external master power electric switch as well.

Brad

The external switch needs to be on to run it off electricity?

Powder Hounds

Yes, bottom lower left. Just make sure you have your valves in the correct positions as well and water is in the tank.

Merlin

Here is the operation manual as a pdf file from a dealer. For some odd reason, Suburban does not provide the manuals on their web site. If you have the gas/electric model, it is a Suburban model SW6DE. You may want to replace the anode rod (available through Amazon for that model) to protect the water heater insides from corrosion. And the answer to your last question is yes, you can operate the heater on both gas and electric at the same time. Just be sure it's full of water!

https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pdf/Suburban_Gas_Water_Heater_Manual.pdf
Michigan

Brad

Thank you Powder Hounds and Merlin

Brad

One more question,   I've been thinking of switching to an on demand WH.  Those that have done so, any regrets or is it worth the cost.  Thinking of going with a electric and propane version. 

DavidM

It is a lot of money and work to convert to tankless, on demand hot water and I don't think the power or propane saved will be significant.

On our conventional propane only hot water heater, I turn it on about 15 minutes before taking a shower and turn it off immediately afterwards and leave it off until the next night. We don't use hot water for anything else.

Yes, you are heating up 6 gallons of water that will probably cool down by the next day so that energy is wasted. It is trivial though, about 2,500 btu and 0.05 gallon of propane.

David

Brad