Power consumption breakdown

Started by tbrady, April 29, 2017, 06:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrady

I finally got around to measuring the power consumption on our 21BHS.  With everything turned off I measured a steady draw of .20 amps/hr which seems high.  I had to take out a panel inside the cabinet to pull the fuse out of the dvd/radio and after that the draw stayed at a steady .12.  Does the carbon monoxide detector draw that much? 

To measure I would wait until the power converter fan stopped running.  All of the measurements below are adjusted for the .20 continous draw.  For example, turning on a single LED light would show a .60 draw but I subtracted .20 from this for an actual draw value of .40

Please let me know if you have any questions.  The values for the furnace and water pump were surprising.  I was expecting more from the furnace and less from the water pump.

Default:  0.20
Default (radio fuse out): 0.12
Power converter fan: ~0.40 (fan would always come on for a few secs after completing circuit)
Radio (Off): 0.08
Radio (On): 0.50
Single LED light: 0.20
Blue light over bed: 0.20
Awning light: 1.80
Water Pump: 6.50
Furnace: 1.80
Fantastic Fan speed 1: 1.30
Fantastic Fan speed 2: 1.81
Fantastic Fan speed 3: 2.60

DavidM

I am really surprised at the low furnace draw. You have the blower, controls and the lpg solenoid. I would have expected at least double.

David

charliem

Tim,

That furnace current does seem low. The Atwood 7900 series is spec'ed at 3.4A. The 1.8A is more consistent with the Atwood 8012-II which is a 12K Btu furnace. What mfg/model is in your 21BHS?
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

tbrady

Quote from: charliem on April 29, 2017, 09:30:44 PM
Tim,

That furnace current does seem low. The Atwood 7900 series is spec'ed at 3.4A. The 1.8A is more consistent with the Atwood 8012-II which is a 12K Btu furnace. What mfg/model is in your 21BHS?

I haven't been able to find the name/model on the furnace itself (yet).  According to my paperwork though it is a Suburban NT205EQ or a NT20SEQ (trouble reading their writing).  Trying to find it online right now...

tbrady

Ok, so from what I can find online this is a 19K BTU furnace that draws 1.75 fan only and 2.25 with fan and heat.  So, my measurement was probably fan only.  Still, that's a nice surprise if only 2.25...  I will have to re-check and make sure heat is coming out.

charliem

So they've changed vendors. More heat and less current. That ain't all bad.  :D
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Diversteve

Just got back from Harbor Freight and saw this little cutie while I was there.
This may come in handy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-amp-automotive-fuse-circuit-tester-67724.html

Merlin

Thanks for the data! The water pump does not surprise me at all. It takes a bunch (that's a technical term meaning a lot) to move water around.
Michigan

Gary M

Your .20 parasitic draw is outstanding, and a lot lower than mine. I'm still getting .30 right now. I need to figure out where it's coming from. I'm pretty sure the CO2 detector is causing the majority of it on mine. I removed just about every useless LED in the coach besides that one.

Did yours come with the 2 way dometic fridge, and have you checked the amp draw on that yet? That's one that I haven't checked yet.

tbrady

Mine does have the 2-way fridge and I did the mod to disable the frame heater.  I haven't tried measuring whether anything else on it is drawing.

ADR

I just noticed this past week while camping there is a red LED on the underside of the King OmniPro TV antenna that is lit all the time, regardless of the position of the power switch on the inside connector plate.

Hmmm.... doesn't seem right.

Have a call in to King but haven't heard back yet.

Anyone else notice this?

ADR

Surprisingly King called me back just now- on a Saturday.
Unsurprisingly they were not helpful.
They claimed it was due to residual power being left when the injector button was turned off.
I'd believe that if it stayed on a minute or so then went out- but it stays on 24x7.

So my question to all of you is-   does your red LED on the bottom of your King OmniPro stay on when the inside button (with green LED) is off?

ADDED IN EDIT-   Solved.   took the power injector plate off the ceiling and saw nothing wrong.  Checked for 12V on the coax jack and saw none. 
Put it back and light on antenna is now off when the plate switch is off.

Best guess>   one of those aluminum chips probably found it's way to the back of the circuit board and had power shorted across something.