North rim Grand Canyon

Started by catmanriff, December 05, 2017, 01:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmanriff

Anyone have experience with north rim campgrounds Grand Canyon in the summer? We'd like to take the QS10 there next June 2018

DavidM

The north rim is like a different place than the crowded south rim. It is higher so it is cooler. Also very wooded. The campgrounds are pretty tightly packed but not as bad as most commercial campgrounds.

We stayed near Bright Angel Point which is right at the main lodge which is a nice place for breakfast or dinner one night.

If you get there late you can camp in the USNF campground about 20 miles north the night before and the go into the  park the next day.

Years ago we camped at the USNF site in mid May (got a dusting of snow) and drove in for breakfast the next morning. Fog had filled the canyon when we arrived at Bright Angel and we couldn't see anything from our breakfast table. A few minutes later the fog suddenly rose and revealed the canyon below. Absolutely magical.

Go for it!!

David

catmanriff

Thanks! We are trying to decide between North rim and the Sequoias and Kings Canyon.

I was looking at North Rim campground and DeMotte. DeMotte is about five miles away but looks less crowded.

DavidM

Quote from: catmanriff on December 14, 2017, 02:48:49 PM
Thanks! We are trying to decide between North rim and the Sequoias and Kings Canyon.

I was looking at North Rim campground and DeMotte. DeMotte is about five miles away but looks less crowded.

I have camped at all three. The North Rim would be my favorite because it is the most dramatic as it overlooks the Grand Canyon. You just can't beat that. The other two are very nice as well though.

I haven't camped at DeMotte, but given its location back from the rim I would rather be right at the North Rim, near the lodge and the short trail out to Bright Angel Point.

David