Combining ingredients and food supplies

Started by catmanriff, January 28, 2017, 02:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmanriff

What ways do you all combine food/meal ingredients to get the most out of the supplies you bring.

Examples:
Loaf of bread can be used for breakfast, sandwiches, cinnamon toast, etc..
Potatoes for breakfast, mashed, fried for dinner, etc
Ground beef for burgers, spaghetti, hamburger helper, etc...
Tuna for sandwiches, casseroles...

What else do you do to get multiple uses out of same ingredients?

pjcd

Broccoli,,,, I put it in mashed potato's, mac & cheese, pasta, (olive oil, no sauce) omelettes.

Bacon!!!!! in everything!

djsamuel

Quote from: pjcd on January 28, 2017, 08:17:53 AM
Broccoli,,,, I put it in mashed potato's, mac & cheese, pasta, (olive oil, no sauce) omelettes.

Bacon!!!!! in everything!

Bacon is the staple of life!

pjcd

catmanriff

Bacon! Of course. You can make it for breakfast, wrap other foods with it, BLTs, or, simply make it and eat it.

A head of lettuce is handy. Salad wedges, sandwiches, tacos

Wine: you can cook with it and what else? Oh yea, drink it.

Spinach- omelettes, dinner

leslie

I go to Trader Joe's and buy several packages of the frozen onions and peppers. I use them for breakfast, mixing them into scrambled eggs or a tofu scramble. (I saute the onions and peppers first, then add the eggs or crumbled tofu for the scramble.) Sprinkling on some turmeric is good, too.

I also saute the onions and peppers, add some bottled marinara, maybe a can of cannellini beans and serve that on rice for the evening meal. Also, onions and peppers with marinara sauce and a package of frozen meatballs make great sandwiches stuffed into hot dog buns.

Onions and peppers, jar of marinara and sliced Italian sausage make good sandwiches in those hot dog buns too. Hot dog buns are not just for hot dogs.

Then there are many things you can do with eggs - besides scrambled, we like fried egg sandwiches, they can be devilled or used for egg salad or potato salad.

Then there are potatoes. I like to bake them in the microwave, or wrapped in foil over charcoal, then top them with... ONIONS AND     PEPPERS! I have come full circle.

leslie

I am on a roll, here. Potatoes - buy a bag of russet potatoes. First campfire, bake them all. Then,  you have the basis for several days of easy meals. They are quick to heat up and top with lots of different stuff - a can of chili, sauteed or roasted veggies, sour cream and chives, scrambled eggs and cheese is one of our favorite fast meals.

I could go on... But...

catmanriff

Yes...potatoes. Good call. Mashed, fried, au gratin, potato salad

Hamburger:
Hamburgers, hamburger helper, spaghetti sauce, mixed in mac& cheese , tacos.

Ham:
Sandwiches, breakfast.

PaulJ

I could not resist this LOL .....

Spam Chimichangas
Shared by Shelley Lauzon of Cornwall, ON, Canada

Serves: 2
A quick and easy meal with no clean up. Cook and eat from foil and pack out foil.

Ingredients:
•2 - 3 oz. foil Spam packages
•1/3 cup salsa sauce (dehydrated)
•3 Tablespoons chopped onion (dehydrated)
•2 large flour tortillas
•1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

At Home: Dehydrate salsa sauce and onions.
Package all ingredients into separate ziplock baggies and pack two pieces of foil.

On the Trail:
Rehydrate onions and salsa sauce.
Combine spam, onions and salsa sauce into a baggie and mix.
Squeeze meat mixture from baggie down center of tortillas.

Add 1/4 cup cheddar cheese to each.

Fold two sides over filling: fold ends down. Wrap in foil and place either above hot coals or in frying pan until golden in color and cheese is melted.

YUM YUM SPAM!

mojospeople

Flour tortillas for breakfast burritos, sandwich wraps, burritos, quesadillas.

catmanriff

Ahhhh
Tortillas flour or corn. Quesadillas. Breakfast burritos.

Cheese- shredded cheddar. Good in/on many things. Quesadillas, omelettes, grilled cheese sands... Parmesan cheese same thing.

catmanriff

Spam is a very reasonable substitute for bacon. Sliced thin and fried, it's  yummy

pjcd

I think anyone's parent who served in WWII has had spam, (I think it was a staple in the military). I ate it as a kid and then as all us kids grew older it disappeared from the menu. I recently saw it in the supermarket and bought some to see if I remembered how I liked it, well, I guess my taste buds have change some, it wouldn't even make it on my list for survival food...... YUK!        8^)

Pinstriper

TJ's has passable pre-grated potatoes that are factory smooshed into hash brown shape.

Breakfast is invariably - INVARIABLY - bacon, hashbrowns, scrambled eggs. Coffee/tea that is ready while the fire builds. Everything comes together for us to eat this royal breakfast sitting at the roaring fire.

Pro Tip: Bacon fat is an accellerant for the campfire. Pour, then wipe the pan with a paper towel, throw the towel on the fire. Less to clean up. Don't do this backpacking.

We have tried sausage, spam, and steak. All good but bacon reigns supreme. Scrambed is the easiest and most reliable, especially with variable heat.

We do very well with various vegetables - tomato, mushrooms, squash in various forms - tossed in a ziplock bag with light olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano or other herbage, then grilled as an accompaniment to chicken breast, steak, shrimp, fish, sausage, pork chops - you get the picture.

Hot dogs and hamburgers are served with baked beans and grilled onions, sometimes on a bun. We also have dealt with running out of hot dogs, and running out of hamburger buns. So we form ground beef into "hamberdogs" and serve them as hambugers in a hot dog bun.

I am no stranger to Maker's Mark. Particularly Leslie's bottle when I can get to it, which is especially difficult unless she is distracted - I recommend a team approach with a diversion. It is my "house whiskey". However, for travel, the James Bean in the plastic bottle always has a place of honor behind the richly colored Azdel above the sink.

Snacks require TJ's sesame crackers, cheese in variety, wine to match of course.