Upgrade Speakers

Started by dlb53151, May 02, 2021, 12:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlb53151

Has anyone upgraded the 4 ceiling speakers in their Livin' Lite trailer?  If so, any suggestions?  I have some new Infinity speakers pulled from my Honda Ridgeline that are the same size but they have only one mounting hole. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

I replaced all 4 ceiling speakers with Infinity Kappa and the sound is outstanding. To help low frequencies (which need a lot of power) I also installed an amplifier, but the Infinity speakers are so efficient I probably didn't need to for such a small interior space like my 16TBS.

After you remove the OEM speakers, you'll want to add a bit of insulation in the hole, because LL cut out all the expanded foam there and you can see the roof.

What do you mean by "one mounting hole"?  Were your speakers some sort of proprietary Honda mount? 
Michigan

GrampaKilt

Quote from: Merlin on May 02, 2021, 09:24:31 AM
To help low frequencies (which need a lot of power) I also installed an amplifier
Merlin, interested to know where you located your amplifier, drew power from and amp model. Still waffling on speaker upgrade, is it worth the cost?? GK

GrampaKilt

Merlin, further to my previous post, you had to cut your holes larger for the Kappa's at 6.5" diameter? Did you encounter any difficulties? Thanks GK

Merlin

The Kappa 63.7i coaxial 3-way speakers (no longer available) fit fine with no hole modification. This was back in 2015 on a 16TBS. I would not have used a speaker that required hole cutting.......yuck. If you get new ones, make sure they fit the openings you have.

The amp is a Clarion XC1410. For power I spliced into the wire to the factory Jensen head unit and added a fuse and switch in the amp wire. I didn't want the amp on all the time. The amp has speaker level inputs so I simply spliced in all 8 wires running to the speaker locations. In other words, the speaker wires comes out of the factory head unit, go to the amp, and then to the speakers. There was plenty of room in the cabinet containing the factory head unit for the amp, which is held down with lots of industrial Velcro.

Worth it?  ??? Sure, for me! I love messing about with things and I like good sound. The factory speakers were just cheap toys that were tinny and quickly distorted. As a caveat, the inside of a Camplite is a small space and 4 coaxial Kappas driven by a 300 watt amp will bend the walls out at volume. So overkill, sure, but fun.
Michigan

GrampaKilt

Merlin, thanks for your comment on the speaker upgrade. Will start looking for alternate same size speakers, and probably a less powerful amp. GK

LoneWolf04

Merlin it sounds like a lot of things changed between 2013 and 2015, or maybe its just the DB vs TBS differences. My 2013 16DB only has 2 speakers at the front of the trailer over the dinette. The radio is almost useless, very poor audio even with local stations. Radio has no bluetooth for phone audio or audio line to the TV, so opted for a portable bluetooth speaker to cover the trailers audio system shortcomings and be able to move it by the campfire. I may relocate the stereo and do upgrades in the future, but the 2 speaker system is a real turnoff.

Merlin

Quote from: LoneWolf04 on May 04, 2021, 03:10:06 PM
Merlin it sounds like a lot of things changed between 2013 and 2015, or maybe its just the DB vs TBS differences. My 2013 16DB only has 2 speakers at the front of the trailer over the dinette. The radio is almost useless, very poor audio even with local stations. Radio has no bluetooth for phone audio or audio line to the TV, so opted for a portable bluetooth speaker to cover the trailers audio system shortcomings and be able to move it by the campfire. I may relocate the stereo and do upgrades in the future, but the 2 speaker system is a real turnoff.

Wow, that does sound (literally and figuratively) lame. The BT speaker option is a good one!
Michigan

GrampaKilt

Yes about the original radio and junky CD player, no BT and USB in the original 2014 14DB. Upgraded to a Pioneer in 3rd yr of ownership. With Merlin's Infiniti Kappa's and Clarion amp discontinued, any other recommends by forum audiophiles? GK

Merlin

Quote from: GrampaKilt on May 04, 2021, 04:51:18 PM
Yes about the original radio and junky CD player, no BT and USB in the original 2014 14DB. Upgraded to a Pioneer in 3rd yr of ownership. With Merlin's Infiniti Kappa's and Clarion amp discontinued, any other recommends by forum audiophiles? GK

I sent you a message about some extra speakers I have. Price negotiable! 
Michigan

dlb53151

Here is our audio setup.  I believe this is the standard OEM setup.  Any suggestions for upgrades would be great.  I couldn't get my Ridgeline Infinity speakers to fit without any (if available) adapter. 

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on May 18, 2021, 12:21:58 AM

Here is our audio setup.  I believe this is the standard OEM setup.  Any suggestions for upgrades would be great.  I couldn't get my Ridgeline Infinity speakers to fit without any (if available) adapter. 

Yup, that's OEM. Pay attention to depth as well as width for new speakers. Better speakers are your best bet for better sound.
Michigan

dlb53151

Is that receiver ok or junk

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on May 18, 2021, 09:54:57 PM
Is that receiver ok or junk

Here are the specs. The main limitation (and it's a big one) is power. It is very versatile with lots of different inputs.  That's why I kept it but added an amp.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Jensen-DVD-CD-Bluetooth-Stereo-p/22-1076.htm
Michigan

dlb53151

Aha - got it thanks