Leak in corner molding on front of 14DBS

Started by RV Squirrel, April 27, 2021, 12:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RV Squirrel

Recently while camping, rainwater began to leak in on both sides of my 14DBS.  At first, I thought that the rain was leaking through the aluminum roof that I had sealed last year (with DICOR self-leveling compound).  Yesterday I went up on the roof with a hose.  The DICOR seemed to be holding up.  However, I noticed that water seemed to be finding its way in when I aimed the hose at the *corner molding* that runs down the front of the 14DBS.  The molding starts at the roof, and then gently arcs down the "nose" of the trailer.  Underneath the molding is a black rubbery caulk or tape that is getting old and brittle, and is beginning to chip away.

I suspect that my leaks are the result of this old caulk.  Should I replace the caulk (a real chore that might cause me to ruin the corner molding, since it is bent in an arc), or patch it somehow?  Since the molding is running down the front of the trailer, I do not want to use self-leveling sealant. I have clear ProFlex RV, but am concerned that it may be harder to repair the next time if the ProFlex doesn't work. 

Any recommendations?  Is there something similar to roofing caulk that might be best used over the existing black caulk/tape?

RV Squirrel

Here are pictures of the possible leak area and the molding.  You can seem that the molding was slightly buckled during installation (when they wrapped it around the front of the trailer).

GrampaKilt

I had a leak along the first 5 or so inches of the corner molding from above the joint where the main roof joins the front radius skin before it curves down the nose of the trailer. It was really difficult to ascertain because the caulking seemed to be intact. But looking at it really closely, it seemed possible that movement in that area could cause caulking to lift off the aluminum. Proflexed those inches, both sides. Nil leak since. I doubt the caulk is able to dry out/fail underneath the corner molding of the arc. YMMV, best wishes. GK

GrampaKilt

Oops, just saw your pictures now. I got my description wrong. That corner molding 'kink' just before the roof/radius joint was the culprit in my case and I predict is yours. Remove any dry caulking crumbs, clean surfaces with alcohol, I used clear proflex, less potential mess :) GK

RV Squirrel

Will do!  Great advice coming from someone who has a trailer similar to my own.  Thanks.

Chappy133

We had leaks at the top front clearance lights and the front orbital where the aluminum overlapped.  The front orbital leak was difficult to determine since it only occurred while towing in the rain. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA