Camplite 17-19 21BHS, 21RBS, 23RKS and 23RLS Recall for failed drawbars.

Started by ADR, October 26, 2018, 01:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADR

Quote from: djsamuel on November 11, 2018, 06:16:18 PM
My question is, did they really eliminate that center beam leading to the hitch? I can't tell for sure by that drawing if they are installing a center beam to the hitch or beefing up an existing center beam by adding a second beam. If there was no center beam, that is inexcusable.

There is a center beam according to their drawings- they are beefing up part of it adding the new 3x3 piece under it from the coupler back to the crossmember.

ADR

Here is a Thor pic of where the cracks are occuring on the side transitions from the frame to the tongue-
This looks EXACTLY like where my 16TBS is cracking
See pic in post #11 in this thread.  I posted that pic before I ever saw Thor's pic.....

Merlin

Sure enough, that looks like the same place. Time to send LL a photo and contact the NHTSA.

I'm still not clear on how my 16TBS is different from your 16TBS (if at all), so I'll post some photos of mine too. No cracks on my 2015, yet.
Michigan

Paul

I got the following instruction from my dealer. I need to find a local welder  because the dealer is 1000km away from me.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Merlin

And the dealer likely would not do the welding anyway! For any dealer that's almost for sure a contract job to a local aluminum welder. I hope you can find a good one in the Moncton area to get you fixed up.
Michigan

Paul

Livin lite didn't wanted to ship the part directly to me so they shipped it to the closest dealer which is 88km or 1 hour away from me. They will receive the parts on Friday and I will most likely go pick them up on Monday and in May when my trailer is out of storage I will find a local welder to do the job. Would have saved me time if it was shipped directly to my house instead.

I hope the package is not too big!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Paul

Quote from: ADR on February 19, 2019, 08:16:08 PM
My guess is around 6ft long....

Yeah that's what I am thinking too, I'll have to strap it down since I have the 5.5ft box or maybe it will fit in diagonal
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

surfsup1955

Thanks for the info ADR and all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADR

Decided to look at my 2018 16TBS again-outside cracks have grown -  I had neglected to look at the inside- 
I sent an email to KZ on the 24th of April- will keep everyone posted what their response is.

The inside where the cracks are propogating up the reinforcement plate is particularly disturbing.

Whipfinisher

ADR, your weld pictures are sickening.  I hope KZ gets in touch with you quickly.

Merlin

Thanks for posting the photos ADR. Letting others know about the continuing weld defects could literally save lives. If you haven't already, use the NHTSA site at safercar.gov to report this.
Michigan

ADR

I'm estimating we have approximately 9000 miles on the trailer-  and I'm still within the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty.
We have a trip coming up in September that will be at least 4000 miles more on the trailer-  right now having discovered the additional cracking I would not do that trip unless this is repaired properly. 
That isn't an option.
If they don't promptly handle this I will get it reinforced and repaired prior to the trip- then go after them for the cost later.   

Paul

My recall was done today. The only thing I am not sure if we installed the gussets in the good location the instructions weren't clear and livin lite didn't provide much help when we called them, they only provided the diagram bellow.

The instructions says Gussets need to be welded in place on the sides of the main tube that goes through the bulk head. The placement of the gussets are on the backside of the first cross brace, and where the tube meets the third cross member of the frame. They are to be placed roughly a 40 degree angle.

So we removed the underbelly and installed the one at the third cross member. I did not took a picture of the gussets we installed under the belly but we took a picture of one we installed on the new 3x3 tube not sure if we were right I have a feeling we've put them at the wrong place now that I am reading the instruction again they should have been on the back side of that cross member (also under the belly) instead but I think we've put them in the frontside? You can see them in the last picture.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Paul

More pictures
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS