2 -(6v) batteries vs 2 (12v) batteries

Started by tbrady, February 14, 2017, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliem

No switch or fuse. Dometic used to provide a switch but it was deemed too confusing for the average consumer, and with energy "free", they deleted it and saved themselves 37 cents. The mod involves disconnecting a certain blue wire at the back of the fridge. If you want the option of using or not using the frame heater you have to add a toggle switch. Search the archive for posts on the subject from me an TinkeringTechie. If you still need help I can repost the mod if I can find it.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

charliem

The original work on the fridge frame heater was done when LL was installing the 7 cu ft Dometic model 3762 . Currently LL advertises a 6 cu ft fridge, model and mfgr unknown. Can someone with a new CL post the current fridge info?

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

DavidM

Quote from: catmanriff on February 16, 2017, 12:48:08 AM
I'm gettin' my learnin' on with these posts!

This has been an interesting and meaningful thread: An operational problem discussed, good solutions given and understanding improved. I doubt that you will see that on the new LL forum!

Keep it up, folks.

David

tbrady

What is the purpose of the frame heater?  And thanks for the great information!! I do a ton of boondocking and this will help a ton.

tinkeringtechie

Here's a pic of the wire in question (light blue):

Not sure if it's always the same color, but you can also notice that it's "ribbed" not smooth like the others. That's because it's a giant spiral of NiCr wire. I just removed it from the post and put some heat shrink on the end. Never needed to turn it on again and never had issues with frost or condensation.

charliem

Quote from: Steve and Dana on February 16, 2017, 03:57:31 PM
Here is the manual for the 6 cubic foot unit

https://www.livinlite.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26.0;attach=42
Your link requires logging into the LL forum. Not all of us are members. You'll have to post a different link so we can read it.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Steve and Dana

charliem

STEVE AND DANA: Thanks for the link to the fridge manual.

Although not yet confirmed, I'm guessing the newer CLs are shipping with the Dometic RM 2662. The book indicates the Climate Control system can be disabled by a switch. If so, no mod is necessary; just turn it off. The purpose of the Climate Control system is to prevent condensation from forming on the exterior in wet climates. That's caused by poor insulation used in an attempt to wrest more inside volume from a fixed outside volume. Condensation is rarely a problem and can be easily wiped off it it forms. With an easily accessible switch the CC can be turned on when shore power is available. 

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Steve and Dana

No problem.  I am sure that there are others that have questions relating to items installed in or on their TT's.  I am not trying to lobby for the other forum, but Dan Miller has compiled quite an extensive listing of manuals for components that Livinlite has used in the construction of their trailers.  Some may want to have a sign on account just to gather information on these manuals.  The appliance section has, by far, the most comprehensive listing of items installed.

Steve

Steve and Dana

Made the attachement too small

Chappy133

Had a 60 degree day installed our two Trojan 6 volt batteries today. Had to remove the factory battery set up. The quick box dual battery case is wider than the factory box. This meant the LP tanks had to move forward but not too far forward to impede the jack crank. Had to fabricate bar stock to support the new battery box.  First trip of the 2017 is next weekend. Happy Trails!
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

gbpack

Nice job Chappy. You will like that set-up and get very good performance out of it!

Merlin

Great! What's the separate fused small wire running into the battery box in the front?
Michigan

Chappy133

Yeah I forgot to mention that. It is connection for our 80W solar panel. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA