Trip prepping in earnest...Colorado, here we come!

Started by mojospeople, July 25, 2017, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojospeople

It's getting hard to focus on work this week. We have been actively prepping for our upcoming trip since last weekend and leave Friday afternoon. I think everything is in order with the camper, the reservations long since made and the plans are being finalized. This will be our longest tow to date but I think we're ready.

We're leaving Illinois on Friday. A short drive to a hotel overnight in Quincy, IL on the banks of the mighty Mississippi. I don't like to set up for one night because it entails unloading all the bikes since we travel with them inside the camper - 3 or 4 on this trip. Then on to Wilson Lake State Park in Kansas for two nights. We will ride the IMBA epic Switchgrass trails and try to see my nephew and his family stationed at Ft. Riley. Then off to Larkspur, CO on the front range to stay at my dad's for a couple nights and get supplied for a week in the mountains. Here we will meet up with our youngest son and his wife too. Then up to Crested Butte, CO to camp in the Taylor Canyon for 6 nights and (try to) ride the epic mountain bike trails in one of the birthplaces of mountain biking. In all we have 3 sites reserved for us, my dad and stepmom, the kids and my stepsister and her family. Two sites with campers and the other with the tenters. Oh, and we'll have our two dogs and my dad will have their two german shepherds.

I can't wait for the cool, dry mountain air and hoping we don't get too much rain while there. It seems they have been in a rain pattern lately. Bonus points - I was able to get an extra night so we can stay and catch a free concert in CB by one of my favorite touring bands - The Band of Heathens. When I saw them on the community event calendar I had to figure out how to stay another night!

The trip home is not so finalized. Likely stopping at my brother's in Greeley, CO for a visit then home probably the same route as we took out so we can see our nephew. If we get to see him on the way out we may come back on I80 instead of I70. We'll probably do another hotel overnight on the way back unless there is time and availability to camp for 2 nights.

Trip report and pictures to be added later. I don't think we'll have cell signal at the campsite but should in CB. I hope I don't need any quick help from this forum like I have before or I'll have to drive into town to post and get replies! Wish us luck!

gbpack

Sounds like a great trip! Hope you have safe travels and a fantastic time! Post a lot of pics!

Merlin

Michigan

thudd3r

welcome...hope you have a good time while you are here.

i have friends up at taylor park this week (between crested butte and buena vista).  they mentioned rain every afternoon.  cool 40 degree mornings and 70s during the day (but feels hotter).  pretty common for this time of year