Televisions

Started by MikeT, January 17, 2022, 02:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Hi All,
I have a Skyworth tv that came with our 21 RBS and am looking to replace it for a number of reasons.
1.  Remote is broken
2.  Sound is poor (very tinny)
3.  It just seems cheap.  This may sound shallow but ....

I had a quick look on the ole web and saw a 32 inch Furrion and a Jensen but was wondering if anyone has purchased a new tv or could provide advice.  We are getting ready to go on a 3 month excursion to the Arctic Ocean, Yukon, NWT and Alaska.  I'm sure there will be times where we just want to sit back and relax while the rain comes down. 

A few things I am looking for;

1.  Bluetooth so we can place a speaker closer to us in case the TV speaker is unable to be heard due to aircon/rain or other noise, whatever that may be!!!.
2.  Smart TV functionality so we can link it to our phones to play material we have downloaded prior to trip, i.e. Netflix etc,
3.  Ideas from all of the experts in the LivinLite world!!!

Cheers

Mike

Merlin

I assume you've started the search looking for 12V televisions. I don't know anything about those. But, when faced with the same decision for a replacement my wife and I found much better quality, prices, features and availability in 120V TVs. So, I bought a small low powered pure sine wave inverter that plugs into the 12VDC outlet next to our TV mount. It provides 120V power to a very nice Samsung TV on the bulkhead mount in our 16TBS. There is a small power penalty for adding the inverter, but modern TVs and modern small inverters are extremely efficient, so our electrical use for that is still very small. I've never checked stats, but it's even possible that a 120V TV uses less watts than a RV 12V TV. I've found there is nothing notable about RV appliance efficiency!

One example of a low power inverter that would run a modern Samsung 32" 120V TV (with a 59W power draw):

https://samlexamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/12001-PST-120-12-1119_Hrez.pdf
Michigan

Chappy133

That is why I like this forum.  I have been thinking of adding a TV and had been looking at the 12VT/110VT options that are very expensive.  Like Merlin said I can get a better 110VT TV for less with more options (i.e. Smart TV etc.).  The inverter is sold on Amazon but is currently out of stock.  Found it here for less that Amazon with free shipping: https://www.donrowe.com/Samlex-PST-120-12-p/pst-120-12.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP4Y7srIgNG3UeWA85_FXiA4SEOm26IKe-CorN5hodpLi4u0gPtaxuhoCzgkQAvD_BwE
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

MikeT

Thanks for your comments Merlin and Chappy,

Yes, I think I will look into the 110/120 Volt televisions.  I agree that the cost of the 12V DC appears to be very high with limited options.  They are quick to point out that the "RV" televisions are constructed to withstand rugged terrain and high/low temperatures.  I think I'll take my chances with the regular TV's and see how it goes.  For the most part they are less than half the cost with many more features.  If it doesn't work out I can buy another and still be under the cost of one Furrion, Jensen etc.

When I purchased my trailer in 2015 I did purchase a Samlex SSW-1500-12A Pure Sine Wave Inverter ($480.00 Cdn ~ $350.00 US) .  I had all these grandiose ideas of setting up my office in my trailer so I could work on the road and bought the golf cart batteries, inverter  and solar panel without really doing any engineering on the solutions!!!!   Being a procrastinator, here I am 6 years down the road, now retired,  so my goals have changed.  I'll do a little more research on how much power my inverter is using and see how this goes.  I did a really good job of hiding it in the pass through storage so I don't want to change it out unless of course it is a power hog.  I'll let you know what TV I go with. 

Paul

I bought a TV at Best Buy and it wasn't marketed as a 12v TV but it is a 12v and it came with a 12 volt ac adapter (the plug is a big block). I am sure I could replace it with a dc one. You could look at TVs plugs and see if they are removable and look at the TV sticker and see if it's 12V

This is the TV I bought it in 2015:  https://www.dynexproducts.com/pdp/DX-24E310NA15/6522226
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Chappy133

Our old 22" JVC TV/DVD is not a smart TV. Since we are doing try TV in the camper on the cheap I am going to use our Apple TV Puck to make the TV smart via HDMI cable. That meant I needed a two outlet inverter. Found the Samlex America (SAM-450-12) with two outlets at a good price on Amazon.  Did a test run without the Apple TV today using the digital TV antenna. Also found out I do not need a bigger TV then the size we have. Any bigger it will be in the way when in the stowed position. So is the yellow / white RCA cables the DVD out from the Jensen head?
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

stu1965

in my rig, i have a 32 TCL smart roku tv (cheap, but good!) which i connect to my iphone for internet access. Since my signal is not always strong enough (even with the weeboost), my alternatives are:
1 - downloaded movies to my usb drive
2- stream from iphone to TV via physical adapter cable.

For sound, I use a bluetooth transmitter, which I then connect to a bluetooth speaker, where I can move that around anywhere in the camper. I can also connect that same transmitter to bluetooth earbuds, for when I watch TV at night, but the sound wont bother my wife.

Merlin

Quote from: Chappy133 on January 22, 2022, 08:27:42 PM
Our old 22" JVC TV/DVD is not a smart TV. Since we are doing try TV in the camper on the cheap I am going to use our Apple TV Puck to make the TV smart via HDMI cable. That meant I needed a two outlet inverter. Found the Samlex America (SAM-450-12) with two outlets at a good price on Amazon.  Did a test run without the Apple TV today using the digital TV antenna. Also found out I do not need a bigger TV then the size we have. Any bigger it will be in the way when in the stowed position. So is the yellow / white RCA cables the DVD out from the Jensen head?

In mine, the RCA cables are out from the Jensen head unit. My door is frozen shut right now so I can't check, but think there are 3: red, white, and yellow. Red and white are stereo audio and yellow is video. BUT, extremely low resolution!
Michigan

Cliff Eerie

Roku has a Smart TV module that connects to HDMI and powered by USB. I bought one for less than $39. to use on an old Samsung in my house and plan to get one for the camper. I have an inverter connected for the factory installed Furrion 110/120V TV. I am surprised that a 12V was not standard, and considered looking around. Paul made a point with his Best Buy purchase as a few TV's are 12V with a block to take it down from 120V.

Chappy133

Thanks Merlin.  I figured out the two RCA Jacks.  They are the Jensen DVD video out to the TV.  Tested it and it works. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

Chappy133

Could not get the Apple TV to stream through the personal hot spot on the iPhone.  May have been a bandwidth issue too.  That being said the iPhone has an Apple TV app so used that as a work around.  A search of the interwebs showed others with this issue too.  I think the route to go is DISH net.  They are RV friendly and only charge you a fee when you use the service.   
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

Merlin

Quote from: Chappy133 on February 21, 2022, 09:56:37 AM
Could not get the Apple TV to stream through the personal hot spot on the iPhone.  May have been a bandwidth issue too.  That being said the iPhone has an Apple TV app so used that as a work around.  A search of the interwebs showed others with this issue too.  I think the route to go is DISH net.  They are RV friendly and only charge you a fee when you use the service.

If you go this route, post back on how that goes. Not much on here about the DISH net for RVs.
Michigan

Chappy133

WILCO.  Spoke to a Airstream owner at Key West and this is the route he went.  Pays by month for its use.  Puts the receiver on the ground and it boots up looking for the satellites.  He was happy with it.  Will let you know. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA