Getting data from your Tow vehicle ECU

Started by Mitch, June 20, 2015, 10:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

If any of you are techno nerds like me and you really want to get some details from your tow vehicle ECU I'd recommend the Android app (assuming you have an android device) called Torque Pro.  In a nutshell you buy a bluetooth ODB connector that plugs into the odb port and transmits all of the ECU data to the app.  The app itself allows you to create a gauge for anything the ECU tracks as well as GPS data from the android device (so you can map).  I use one so that I can have temp gauges for my transmission pan sensor and transmission outlet sensor.  I have a galaxy tab with 7 inch screen mounted just so on the dash. It's also nice because I don't have to look as far away from the road to see my gauges.

Mitch

Paul

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

rideandfly

Mitch, Welcome!!!!

That's a fine panel! Like the layout, it's nicer than what I use.

Use a Scangauge to get data off of the OBD:

Bill

Mitch

Quote from: rideandfly on June 20, 2015, 11:20:00 PM
Mitch, Welcome!!!!

That's a fine panel! Like the layout, it's nicer than what I use.

Use a Scangauge to get data off of the OBD:

This is actually my third iteration of monitoring devices and also the cheapest.  I started with a scanguage then moved to a dashdaq and now this.  This one is the best so far but really I think it's a reflection of the advancing technology more than anything else.

Poncherelly

I bought a V.A.G. Cable from Ross tech to pull information off my Audi. It also allows my to make computer mods to my TV as well as checking and resetting codes. :)

rideandfly

Purchased another scan device to read OBD error codes, so I can make repairs and reset codes.

Started towing a larger TT, so need to monitor tranny temps, too.
Bill

billmoore

Anybody have a recommendation for a good bluetooth OBD connector? I have a USB one that works great with a laptop for the occasional pulling an error code, but it would be really nice to have one that works with an android phone for more continuous usage for things like transmission temp when towing...
2014 LivinLite Bearcat BC7X20
2014 Ford F150 Supercab STX 4X4 5.0L

djsamuel

Quote from: billmoore on December 29, 2016, 12:23:39 AM
Anybody have a recommendation for a good bluetooth OBD connector? I have a USB one that works great with a laptop for the occasional pulling an error code, but it would be really nice to have one that works with an android phone for more continuous usage for things like transmission temp when towing...

I use Torque Pro on my Android phone and it works great.  Good real time data.

https://torque-bhp.com

MitchB

Really late reply and you've probably already purchased one but this is what I use, It's not the cheapest but it works very well with Torque Pro and not all of them do.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mitch
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

billmoore

Quote from: MitchB on April 05, 2017, 06:11:47 PM
Really late reply and you've probably already purchased one but this is what I use, It's not the cheapest but it works very well with Torque Pro and not all of them do.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mitch

Thanks! I have an old USB ScanTool OBDLink, and it has been great. Probably 10 years old now though. I haven't bought a bluetooth one yet, but that one will be at the top of my list when I do...
2014 LivinLite Bearcat BC7X20
2014 Ford F150 Supercab STX 4X4 5.0L