Tundra/Camplite owners, can you put your tailgate down?

Started by nhlakes, March 31, 2018, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhlakes

Question for late model Tundra owners pulling late model Camplites with the electric jack: Can you put your tailgate down?

If so, what length ballmount/drawbar are you using? Or, what type of WDH setup?

Diversteve

No I can't on mine.
It looks like I would need a few more inches of extension on the hitch.
I am currently using a standard length hitch with no weight distribution.
The weather is sure getting nice here in the deep South.
We are camping next weekend!!!

PaulJ

Nope Can't on mine either.  I use the equalizer weight distribution hitch. This system has been rated #1 by subscribers 6 years in a row in trailer life magazine.

Apollo

The longer the draw bar the lower its capacity so depending on all the numbers you might not be able to get the trailer moved back enough to open the tail gate.

There are other electric jacks made where the motor is behind the post so depending on clearance that might help.

imfromthegovt

Has anyone calculated how much extra room you would need with a Tundra? I use the Andersen WDH. I am wondering if I spend the extra $ on this part and get an additional 3" will it work?

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/33734-custom-4-wdez-hd-rack-with-3-extra-shank-length--2-shank.aspx

nhlakes

Can't help you on the Andersen question, but I did discover that when I open my tailgate (no WDH) the plastic handle to open/close the tailgate rests nicely on a flat part of the elec jack, so I have been able to open up my tailgate halfway with the CL21RBS attached without marring/denting the bodywork, which is better than I'd hoped. 

Would still be nice to open it all the way, so if you/someone comes up with a WDH option that allows for opening the tailgate all the way, that might drive me toward installing a WDH setup.

alazear

I can't open the tailgate on my Durango either.  The electric jack interferes.  I'm running the standard Anderson WDH set up.  I should have bought the longer bar, darn...

tbwrench

The tailgate does go down on mine. I've installed the Bulldog coupler, which is longer than the original. Also I use a Blue Ox weight distribution / sway control hitch.

nhlakes

Quote from: imfromthegovt on May 17, 2018, 10:20:07 AM
Has anyone calculated how much extra room you would need with a Tundra? I use the Andersen WDH. I am wondering if I spend the extra $ on this part and get an additional 3" will it work?

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/33734-custom-4-wdez-hd-rack-with-3-extra-shank-length--2-shank.aspx

Did you happen to try the 33734? I'm honing in on the Andersen and would love to know if this extra 3" would allow me to drop the tailgate?   I have email into Andersen asking if they could tell me the distance from receiver to the center of the ball with the extended shank installed.

Chappy133

Having the same with my F 150 with a manual jack.  I only need a 3-5 inches to clear.  Since I am 2800 lbs under the trucks tow capacity of 7700 I should be OK with a longer receiver hitch.  I do not use a WDH but I did add air bags to the rear suspension.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

nhlakes

I was ready to declare victory on putting the tailgate down with the new Andersen hitch, then as I was posting this, it occurred to me that when I tested it and took this photo I had not put much pressure on the ball at all, since I was in the middle of installing the Andersen (and new shelf for the GC batteries).  I had so little room to spare that there's a chance that when I put the full weight of the camper down on the ball that it will change the geometry enough to prevent closure.   We'll see.  Should have new battery box by end of today which will allow me to build the new shelf, install batteries, and then go find someplace flat to setup the Andersen.  I will report back...

nhlakes

For anyone interested in the tailgate up/down with the Tundra/Andersen, I completed the install of the hitch yesterday.  With the full trailer weight on the truck and pressure on the chains, the plastic top of the tailgate scraped heavily against the plastic edge of the elec jack when trying to put it up/down. 

Since it was just plastic on plastic I simply forced it past without damage.  Today I filed a bit of plastic off the offending edge of the jack and will see how that goes when I connect the truck back up on Fri...