adding brakes - what axle is this?

Started by gcamp, February 22, 2017, 10:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcamp

I want to add electric brakes to my 8.0 but I am having hard time trying to understand the encrypted message that Dexter attached to the axle in order to identify it.

Etrailer sells plenty of drums for 2000 lb axle but is mine 2000 lb?

I have taken some pictures http://imgur.com/a/XtTSG that will hopefully help.

Any idea what brake assemblies and drums to order?

thank you all.

rideandfly

Gcamp,

Look at your axle to see if you can find a number like this one on the axle. If you can find it, it's the Dexter serial number. Give Dexter a call with that number and they can tell you all about the axle and email a spec sheet, too. They can also tell you if the axle can be converted with Dexter parts and give you part numbers, too.

Hope this helps,

Bill

gcamp

Dexter responded super quickly and gave me all the info. I am still not sure what parts to order from etrailer. Looks like the axle is rated for 1500 but all brake assemblies on etrailer are for axles 2000 lb or more. Does it matter?

I am attaching axle info as provided by Dexter.

Merlin

Cool! You've got enough info for etrailer to get you what you need. Rather than trying to decipher it and guess, just give etrailer a call or email with that info and they will fix you right up with exactly what you need for the hub/drum/shoes/electrical. They know what they are doing and will know that axle and what it needs.
Michigan

QS61956

Wise move to add brakes- I ordered mine with them and it is so easy to tow my QS6 with my Forester! :)

gcamp

For future reference, these seem to be the correct parts for my 8.0, hope it helps to someone one day

khughes222

I verified with Livinlite that the same 819859 custom axle is used for the 8 and 10 quicksilver models at a capacity of 1500lbs.

Here is the link for the etrailer discussion regarding brake parts for the QS10 which would be the same on the 8.0.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-158902.html

I totaled all of this up and the price came to just shy of $500 including the controller for your car. After talking with Dan Miller at Livinlite, it became questionable of whether or not it would be advantageous to have Dexter just build a new 2000lb axle with brakes for a similar price.

I haven't gone through the motions of finding out exactly what it would cost yet but I did verify the contact for the Torflex division of Dexter is 405-262-6700 if anyone wants to look into it.