Towing a 21rbs

Started by F3Dawg, April 09, 2018, 10:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F3Dawg

I tow my 21rbs with a 2017 F150 with a 4 point WDH. However, I was not happy with how my camper trailered. It always seemed a little loose. This weekend come home from our trip. I decided to experiment with adding weight to the trailer. I filled the fresh water tank, and the towing difference was amazing. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

DavidM

You probably increased the tongue weight. More tongue weight always equals better towing as long as the TV can take it.

David

Diversteve

We travel with ~15 gallons of water in our 14DBS.
It adds the perfect amount of weight to the tongue and evens out the side to side loading on the trailer.

nhlakes

Towed the 21RBS home (setup for camping, brought everything with me to pick it up) without WDH with my Tundra. 

Did about 800 miles over the course of 4 days, over flat lands of Indiana, hills or West Virginia, etc.  Towed very well.   A little bit of sway in windy flat lands, but not too bad (have had numerous similar sized trailers in the past with and without WDH)

gibby

Do you have the factory "Bias Ply" tires or Radial.

I too have the F150, and 21RBS along with a WDH. Last year I had to replace the original tires, and this time put radials on it.

I too have run with the tank full, and yes there is a difference, but the difference after going to radials were like night and day. Baby tows like a dream now, rock solid back there and sway is very much reduced.

Remember that for the time you need to replace the tires.
2014 21RBS
2121 F150 Lariat ,  3.5 Ecoboost, 4X4, SuperCrew

F3Dawg

Quote from: gibby on April 10, 2018, 10:02:03 AM
Do you have the factory "Bias Ply" tires or Radial.

I too have the F150, and 21RBS along with a WDH. Last year I had to replace the original tires, and this time put radials on it.

I too have run with the tank full, and yes there is a difference, but the difference after going to radials were like night and day. Baby tows like a dream now, rock solid back there and sway is very much reduced.

Remember that for the time you need to replace the tires.

You are correct. I just replaced my factory tires with radials. The combination of new tires and the additional weight makes the camper tow like it is stuck to the back of my truck.