Black tank tips?

Started by Lily, August 12, 2021, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily

Probably not everyone's favorite topic...but any tips on how to completely get 'everything' out of the black tank when dumping?  Repeated filling until monitor shows full & using black tank flush still find it hasn't emptied everything.  Suggestions appreciated.

DavidM

Not for the squeamish:

Hook up a hose and nozzle to a good source of water with decent pressure. Then put the nozzle down inside the toilet with the flush valve open but the coach water turned off. Hook up to a dump and open the black water valve. Now if you are queazy about getting splashed put a plastic bag or something around the toilet opening.

Then open the nozzle on narrow stream and poke it around inside. Make sure you reach down so you can point the nozzle to the sides, but most stuff will be on the bottom. Work the nozzle around for a few minutes then stop and clean up.

David

Merlin

I don't even try to get everything out each dump. I empty, then use the black tank flush to rinse, then add a couple gallons of water and Thetford tank treatment to slosh around inside until the next campsite. At the end of the trip at the last campground,  I empty and flush as usual, then add a a couple gallons of water and a generous squirt of Dawn detergent. When I get home I empty that and again use the black tank flush. Anything I get out I empty into an easy-pour container and then into my too friendly local groundhog holes. Sadly, they don't seem to mind! The combination of the black tank flush system and the loosening effect of the detergent seems to be keeping it very clean. The main secret is to not let the tank dry out. That hardens things up and apparently makes rather permanent stalagmites.
Michigan

Lily

Thank you both, David & Merlin.  Will apply as directed.   😊

GrampaKilt

I just had to 'chyme' in. In the frozen north (now sizzling for the time being), in our subdivision, all houses have access ports to the sewer in the driveway thus institutionalizing the gopher hole trick...

I, too, have found even with the Tornado rotary rinser installed, it takes some minutes to clear tp etc from the tank. Perhaps an additional tip to Merlin's sage advice, I raise the door side of the trailer with my andersen levellers, but not a lot, just to give more slope for tank discharge. GK

Lily

Sounds like good advice. Will try it, thanks.

dlb53151

When I use the black tank flush I instantly get 'water' leaking under the trailer and into the trailer under my shower.  Any insights on that?

On a separate note, my attempt at humor: best way to avoid black tank issues is to find a nearby tree ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

Yup, I know that leak well. The black tank flush line is really hard to blow out with air in the fall. The water in the line/fittings freezes and then leaks like a sieve next spring. It's hard to replace that line where it enters the camper and then run underneath to the back of the black tank. I just let mine lead because the flush still does work.
Michigan

dlb53151

Aha - that's the problem.  That line is not on my winterizing protocol..... Haven't thought of that one needing to be blown out. Too late now.  Will have to opt for the rotary sprayer in the crapper approach.  [emoji51][emoji1784]

dlb53151

If anyone has actually replaced that black tank flush line, any insights would be great.  I will be adding that to my to-do list for next season at this point.  Thanks.

Merlin

There are lots of varieties of black tank flush systems and some custom jobs too. Another camper's experience may not help you, unfortunately. I happen to know mine is a semi-custom job added by LL at my request; it was not standard or even a standardized option when I ordered my camper. The line runs in crazy places and I've already had to add fittings where LL just bent the line to fit a corner.
Michigan

Chappy133

Well was using the back flush for the first time this week and got told it was leaking from under the shower on our new to us 21 RBS.  I gather it was properly winterized and need to find the leak.  Hopefully this will not be too tough of a fix. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

Chappy133

Pinging the inter webs the most common issues is the "check valve" is either failed or the connections are not tightened down.  The check valve has to be above toilet height for "code" reasons.  I am going to open up the shower valve connection and see if I can locate the check valve which is where others have found it on the videos I looked at. 

Amazon link:
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

Merlin

Since you found the camper in WI, I do think it's likely the black tank flush line was not winterized using compressed air to clear out the water. Even with that, it's possible a low point held enough water to freeze and break the line/fittings. I have a leak on my 16TBS black tank flush line behind the wall just inside of the inlet. The leak runs outside, so no water under the shower like on yours. Sadly, there is no access to the leak on mine, so I just live with a little water running out of the camper right under the inlet.

Michigan

Chappy133

The water volume is higher then the just living with it unfortunately. Not sure exactly where the leak is coming from.  Will need to do some probing. 
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA