2013 21 RBS Inspection/Purchase advice.

Started by Jonathan, August 30, 2020, 08:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

I'm going to look at a 2013 21 RBS this week. One owner and stored with an RV cover.
What are some of the questions I should be asking specific to Livin Lite as well as general questions.
When I go to inspect/look at it what items should I be looking at Specific to Livin' lite Campers? 
This year has an aluminum roof.
I have read that there have been issues with doors rotting from the inside. 

I'm a noob so don't assume anything when responding.

My TV is a 2018 Ram 1500 4WD with a Hemi.

Thanks in advance
Jonathan

DavidM

Your Camplite was built the Scott Tuttle way and besides a small filler panel of plywood in the door (which you shouldn't worry about, it should have no corrosion or rot. But here are some things to look for, some specific to LLs, others generic:

Check the frame welds for cracks particularly in the front A frame. Check the coupler for bending where it bolts to the frame. If ok, then when you get it, install another set of bolts to strengthen it. This is discussed here or in the archives.

Turn on the propane and light the stove. Might take a minute to purge the air. Make sure the furnace lights and heats. Same with the water heater. Turn on the fridge with the gas setting on. On mine it takes three tries to purge all of the air. When it lights you can hear a soft rumble from the burner at the bottom vent. After a few minutes the top vent should be slightly warm. It will take a long time to start to cool down, but the fact that the upper vent gets warm gives you about 95% assurance that it will.

Plug it into shore power and check that all outlets, lights, and the microwave works. Move the slide in and out. With at least a few gallons in the fresh water tank, turn the water pump on and make sure you get flow out of the faucets, shower head and the toilet flush valve. Listen when you turn off the faucet for the water pump to stop.  Check the battery with a voltmeter. With the RV plugged into shore power you should read at least 13.5 volts or higher which tells you the converter is working.

Take it for a short test drive. After you plug in the trailer connector, check the tail lights by hitting the TVs emergency switch- all should flash. Check the bearing hubs after driving a bit for excessive temps. Check the tires for wear and make sure they are pumped up to 50 psi.

These are the things I do at the beginnings of each season and I check everything but the shore power system every time I camp.

David

Merlin

Good advice from David!  When buying a 7 year old camper, you may want to fold some "automatic" replacement things in the cost. I would suggest a new mattress, new tires, new A/C air filter, new sewer hose, new throw carpets, new battery, bearing service, and a complete flush/cleaning of all 3 tanks. And make sure it's not been smoked in. After you inspect it, post back any specific questions. I hope it works out!
Michigan

Jonathan

Thank you both for the advice.  I am also considering hiring the local RV dealer where the RV was purchased 7 years ago  (Former Livin Lite dealer) to do an inspection OR another local gent that is an RV inspector through the National RV Inspector Assoc. Any thoughts?

Has there been any issues with having to redo window seals where they mount to the exterior?

Thanks

DavidM

Quote from: Jonathan on August 30, 2020, 12:46:09 PM
Thank you both for the advice.  I am also considering hiring the local RV dealer where the RV was purchased 7 years ago  (Former Livin Lite dealer) to do an inspection OR another local gent that is an RV inspector through the National RV Inspector Assoc. Any thoughts?

Has there been any issues with having to redo window seals where they mount to the exterior?

Thanks

A general RV inspector, even a former LL thechician may not know about coupler bending and frame cracks. But probably could do a good job ensuring systems work properly.

I don't think window seal leaks have been reported here and the nature of how they are made makes leaks unlikely.

David

Jonathan

Thanks David.  When I discuss with the inspector I will ask specifically to look at those items.

Will keep y'all posted.
Cheers! 

Pinstriper

David just saved you six hours or reading the archives.

I would add check the seams in the shower corners, expect to caulk then anyway. Finally, once it is yours, do a grey tank check and make sure it will take full capacity. There were some reports of the pipe extended too far into the tank.

You do this by filling 5 gallon buckets and pouring them into the shower pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliem

When you get the 21RBS, and if you plan to camp where you don't have shore power, you should check to see if a previous owner made provisions to disable the refrigerator frame heater. This mod greatly increases battery life when off the grid. This is not a defect to be inspected for but is a mod you will want to implement. Check back here after you get your new (old) toy and we'll walk you through it.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

charliem

Quote from: DavidM on August 30, 2020, 01:01:03 PM

A general RV inspector, even a former LL thechician may not know about coupler bending and frame cracks. But probably could do a good job ensuring systems work properly.

David

I agree an RV inspector probably won't know about these two specific problems. I would think a good one (experienced) could inspect for weld problems if he is properly alerted to the history as posted on this forum. If cracked welds are found they MUST be repaired by a qualified ALUMINUM welder. The bent coupler issue is also serious but can be fixed after you take possession. It shouldn't be a deal breaker. Careful inspection may even reveal the fix has already been implemented. There was a lot of discussion on this forum at the time until LL eventually fixed it on later models.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Jonathan

Thanks All.  Will make note of the points made.  It sold this afternoon. Was posted for approximately 48 hrs on CL :(  I'm in Nashville and it was in Austin, TX.  Tough logistics.  Buyer lived 2 1/2 hrs away from seller.  Oh well.  I'll keep looking.  I have a WTB posting on the For Sale section.  I only want a 21 RBS.  RBH won't work b/c my kids are grown and paying taxes so it would be a poor use of space for my needs.  I know there are a few 16 RBS's TBS's out there right now. The "boss" wants a 21 RBS.  Down south we have a saying, "If Mama's not happy ain't nobody happy"  If you get my drift.   ;)

Cheers

Merlin

Michigan

Jonathan

Going to look at a 2015 21 RBS tomorrow 11/27.  We'll see.

Canajun

Hi Jonathan,

I'm looking to buy a 21rbs.  I found one in TX. I was wondering did yours end up having weld/coupling problem?

Merlin

Quote from: Canajun on August 11, 2021, 04:49:06 PM
Hi Jonathan,

I'm looking to buy a 21rbs.  I found one in TX. I was wondering did yours end up having weld/coupling problem?

He went a different direction and didn't get a Camplite. No longer on the forum.
Michigan