Quiet Air Conditioning!

Started by Merlin, August 02, 2023, 05:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

I just removed my 9 year old horribly noisy Coleman Mach Polar Cub air conditioner and installed a RecPro by Houghton RV Air Conditioner Low Profile 13.5K Quiet AC Unit with Heat Pump, Non-Ducted, with remote. It's quiet inside! What an amazing difference! I'll report more after I use it for a while, but if anyone needs or wants a new air conditioner with heat, seriously consider this one.
Michigan

djsamuel

Thanks for the update Merlin.  I've looked into these and am seriously considering one.  Any issues with the installation or was it a pretty direct fit?  I'd be replacing the Dometic Penguin II 13K unit.  It is also very noisy.

Can you operate it without the remote?

Merlin

It can be operated without the remote, but limited. At the ceiling plenum, it can be turned on and off and cycled through the modes: cool, dry, fan, heat, auto.  However, without the remote, the temperature is set at 75F and the fan is set at high.

Installation was very easy, other than the difficulty of getting the old unit off the roof and the new one up there. With 2 of us, one on the roof and one on the ground, we slid the old one down an extension ladder and pulled/pushed the new one up. They supply a sealing bracket that only needs some self-leveling lap sealant around the edge. It fit perfectly in the roof hole and once the unit was up there, it was super easy to set it in place. The inside bolting, electrical connections, and plenum installation took maybe 45 minutes total. The installation manual is minimalist, but is enough. All in, counting removing the old unit, cleaning up the hole for the new one and vacuuming at the end, it probably took 2 hours, with 2 people working during the heavy lifting.

Interestingly, since the old unit was working fine and we took care to not damage it, I advertised as free on the local Craigslist. Within just a few hours, I had emails from 20 different folks who wanted it and it was picked up out of my driveway same day by a nice young couple rebuilding an old RV. I warned them about the noise, but they said they knew all about that problem! 
Michigan

djsamuel

Thanks for the info.  That is great you found someone that could use the old air conditioner.  Sounds like it will be put to good use.

Paul

My wife doesn't want to use the A/C during the day because of the noise! We only use it while sleeping. Good to know you can get something quieter with a heat pump!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Merlin

We're headed out west soon and if the heat wave out there doesn't dissipate soon, the new A/C will be severely tested! 
Michigan

djsamuel

Keep us posted on how the AC works during your trip.  Enjoy!

Merlin

So far, so good. It's worked quietly and very well in 90 degree heat here in Montana. Draws about 12 amps. I haven't even needed to set the fan on high yet.
Michigan

djsamuel

Sounds great so far.  Thanks and enjoy your trip!

Doug

Merlin

Another major test today. We crossed eastern Washington in 104F heat. It was still 98F when we arrived at our Corps of Engineers campground on the Snake River. The A/C cooled the interior so it was tolerable in about 20 minutes and this evening I'm enjoying 73F inside while it's still 92F outside and everything is nice and quiet with the compressor cycling off and on, so I know it's not running at full capacity.
Michigan

djsamuel

Sounds great.  Thanks for the update!

Merlin

One more report.........today is a chilly and damp campsite on the Pacific coast where we'll be for a few days. The heat function is working perfectly, keeping us at a comfortable 69 degrees inside. It's drawing about 12 amps when the compressor is on and it's cycling infrequently.  :)
Michigan

djsamuel

A quick question; does the inside cover have 4 outlets, 2 pointing front and back and another 2 side to side?  If so, can you adjust and close all four outlets?  Also, it appears as though the filter is in the middle between the outlets.  Is this correct?

Glad to hear the heat pump is working as well.  My wife and I talked about it today and we will probably be ordering the 13.5K low profile AC/heat pump as well.  We are both tired of the noisy Dometic Penguin 2.

Enjoy your trip!

Doug

Merlin

Yes, the inside air handler is a square, with a 12" X 1.5" outflow vent on all 4 sides that can be closed or directed vertically all the way from straight out to straight down. There is an approximately 12X12 intake with a filter in the center of the bottom. I put some extra filter material in the screen that's there to catch fine dust. The whole unit is thinner against the ceiling than the original Coleman, so no headroom issues for me. As an aside, RecPro has been great to deal with on shipping and questions. The only oddity for use is that when you push a button on the remote, the system has to think for a few seconds before responding.

Quick note.....the vents can't be completely closed tightly.
Michigan

djsamuel

Quote from: Merlin on September 03, 2023, 12:28:04 AMQuick note.....the vents can't be completely closed tightly.

This leads to a quick question.  On our 21BHS, the AC unit is between the kitchen on one side and the dinette slide out on the other.  Can the side vents be closed enough to stop cold air from blowing onto someone working at the kitchen counter as well as stop cold air from flowing onto the dinette when eating? 

Thanks!

Doug