Tongue Weight

Started by Merlin, March 05, 2017, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Quote from: GrampaKilt on June 28, 2020, 06:09:32 PM
Quote from: DavidM on June 27, 2020, 04:14:03 PM
Our is a tandem axle and loaded I bet it weighs 3,500 lbs or more. The front pass through is pretty full: chairs, portable grill, hoses, axe, even a couple of arm loads of wood. But the tongue weight is only about 250 lbs.

DavidM, this response is to take a little dig at Pinstriper and his TANSTATMTV wisdom. Your comment about the TW of the 14' CL tandem wheel version was one of the reasons it was the perfect TT for my VW Jetta TDI. Although I now have a Pinstriper-Approved TV, I miss towing with my Jetta (which by now has probably been melted down and made into a GMC). My GMC 1500 is no match for what we experienced towing with the Jetta-- smoother ride, effortless transmission control via the DSG transmission, the engine breaking capability of the TDI, solid 25-28 MPG over hill and dale and probably lower overall emissions due to using half the fuel. I never came across a braking situation that the properly adjusted trailer brakes and WD hitch didn't handle with aplomb.

On the other hand, with the GMC there's lots of room in the box for a side by side, or for just bringing along the kitchen sink because I can! Plus, I have to admit, the kayaks we now bring with us would have looked ridiculous on a Jetta roof.

Sad to hear others selling their CL's but understand nothing is forever. We still love our 2014 DB and with the immanent install of a Victron low voltage cutoff switch, the mods will finally come to an end. GK

I highly doubt the end of that last sentence!
Michigan

GrampaKilt

Quote from: Merlin on June 29, 2020, 08:58:29 PM
I highly doubt the end of that last sentence!
LOL! Good one Merlin! And already true. Any other geezer needing a handicap grab bar in the BR? GK