Camplite Bumper Enhancement

Started by charliem, January 04, 2017, 01:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliem

Camplite Bumper Enhancement

The factory supplied Camplite bumper is not adequate for mounting bicycle carriers. It does not support 4x4" receiver mounts and will not withstand the torque imposed by bicycles on rough roads. The drawing and pictures below describe the proper modification. This particular modification was performed to my drawing by the LL factory when they entertained custom upgrades. Since this service is no longer available it will have to be accomplished by a qualified third party welding shop.

Note that aluminum welding is considerably more demanding than ordinary steel welding and  that simply adding a 2x4 aluminum tube onto the back of the existing bumper is not sufficient. That does nothing to address the OEM weld structure and is even worse than the original bumper due to the added torque developed. The added 2x4 tube must be added in front of the original bumper and welded to the original bumper and the frame rails on each side.

Pictures attached.

Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

tco2612

What gauge of aluminum tubing should I use .125 or .25   thank you

Merlin

The OEM rear bumper on my '15 16TBS is 0.125 2X4. I was told that this is the stuff to use for reinforcement of the rear bumper, in the 0.125", 2"X4"X60" version. I have NOT confirmed that with the place the will do the welding for me, but I have no reason to suspect it's not correct. At $60, however, I will confirm with them before I order it next month. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H9L68Y/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
Michigan

LoneWolf04

Quote from: Merlin on March 06, 2017, 09:10:14 PM
The OEM rear bumper on my '15 16TBS is 0.125 2X4. I was told that this is the stuff to use for reinforcement of the rear bumper, in the 0.125", 2"X4"X60" version. I have NOT confirmed that with the place the will do the welding for me, but I have no reason to suspect it's not correct. At $60, however, I will confirm with them before I order it next month. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H9L68Y/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Did you ever make this modification to your trailer? I'm in Michigan and just bought a '13 16DB 3 weeks ago. Contemplating on doing this mod. Instead of mounting a receiver and bike rack, I might mount a small poly box to put water hoses and things in their. Weight of the box is 16lbs and would only be putting 20lbs into the box. So way less than a bike rack, and won't be hanging off and bouncing like a bike rack.

Merlin

No, I didn't have the reinforcement welded on the factory bumper. Instead I used stainless u-bolts and fastened a 1X10 pine board (yes, gasp, wood) flat on the single 2X4 aluminum factory bumper. I carry all my sewer fittings/gloves/wipes in a poly box bolted to the wood and also my rolled up patio mat as well as my door mats on the wood, held down with bungees. Works perfect. We ended up getting Giant brand folding bikes that ride in the tow vehicle so I don't need a receiver hitch back there.

Maybe next year we can get the Michigan Livin Lite owners together at a state park. Where are you in MI? I'm I the Lansing area.
Michigan

GrampaKilt

LoneWolf04, I, too, used wood (the scandal!) to enhance the rear bumper. It was a pressure-treated 2x4 glued and bolted to the inside of the aluminum stock. On top of this structure I attached hose storage and a small aluminum truck chest. It's all good to this day! Some pics of this mod thread here https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=779.msg5614#msg5614

One note about usage and an aside: now that I tow with a pick-up, the genny/gas can reside in the truck bed. The aside: the e-bike rage for seniors will soon reach us. In the planning stages--where to transport them? TT or TV? (truck bed has a tonneau cover plus kayaks above...) Any thoughts out there? Regards GK

Merlin

Quote from: GrampaKilt on September 25, 2020, 12:52:58 PM
LoneWolf04, I, too, used wood (the scandal!) to enhance the rear bumper. It was a pressure-treated 2x4 glued and bolted to the inside of the aluminum stock. On top of this structure I attached hose storage and a small aluminum truck chest. It's all good to this day! Some pics of this mod thread here https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=779.msg5614#msg5614

One note about usage and an aside: now that I tow with a pick-up, the genny/gas can reside in the truck bed. The aside: the e-bike rage for seniors will soon reach us. In the planning stages--where to transport them? TT or TV? (truck bed has a tonneau cover plus kayaks above...) Any thoughts out there? Regards GK

How about considering adding a cap to the truck as part of the e-bike purchase. The TT sure seems like a better place to transport them than the camper. E-bikes are heavier than regular bikes, both because of the motor and battery, but also because of the heavier wheel construction to handle the torque. My wife's e-bike was too heavy for us to lift all the time, so we sold it and bought lightweight folding bikes instead.
Michigan