Heat Pumps

Started by Merlin, April 04, 2023, 02:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

I've been researching heat pumps to replace my extremely noisy and 9 year old Coleman Mach Polar Cub A/C. We are heading out on a month long trip this summer/early fall where both A/C and heat will be needed. We would love to have a MUCH quieter unit.

I've checked out mini-splits and decided they are not going to be the right solution. Although I might be able to move things around and finagle a place for both the inside and outside components, they really don't fit the setup I have in a 16TBS. I wish manufacturers made an RV version of a mini-split, because they are incredibly quiet and efficient.

Roof-top heat pumps come in a wide range of prices. It's hard to find dB information on running sound, both inside and outside. It's also hard to find efficiency information. The one manufacturer that publishes both, as well as starting amp draw is Houghton. Their RecPro models look like a good bet for lower noise, higher efficiency, and low starting amp draw. I know that's not a brand installed by LL and is usually an aftermarket installation for most RVs. I think I'll give their low profile 13.5 btu model heat pump a chance and install that later this month.

Other A/C manufacturers are beginning to recognize the awful noise and efficiency in RV units, but camper manufacturers will almost always install the cheapest (read high noise, low efficiency) units on the roof to keep costs down. Perhaps some the newer "quiet" A/C units from Dometic, Coleman, etc. will eventually get some market share.

In the meantime, if anyone on the forum has input about heat pumps or quiet versions of A/C, chime ins!
Michigan

Powder Hounds

Have you looked at the Autoclima Fresco 9000 for cooling? It is able to operate on 12v as well. The difficult task would be locating the two interior components. They have some other units in the Fresco line as well worth a look.

We use a few low voltage rubber industrial heated floor mats to dry our ski boots and help with keeping our feet warm in the winter.

PH

Merlin

Thanks. I had not seen those Fresco units. The 16TBS is really low on wall space; the only possibilities are over the front windows and it's not much. Hmmmm..........
Michigan

Merlin

I've ordered the Houghton RecPro 13.5 btu low profile heat pump, with remote. It was expensive, but ordered direct from the factory in Indiana it has free shipping. It should be a direct replacement physically for the Coleman unit I have now. I'll report back on installation and operation later this month.
Michigan

djsamuel

Quote from: Merlin on April 10, 2023, 09:25:59 PMI've ordered the Houghton RecPro 13.5 btu low profile heat pump, with remote. It was expensive, but ordered direct from the factory in Indiana it has free shipping. It should be a direct replacement physically for the Coleman unit I have now. I'll report back on installation and operation later this month.
Please let us know how quiet it is as well.  Best of luck; looks promising.

gglkap1

I have had the Houghton 3400 heat pump for a year now on my 21RBS (2015 model)
You can stand under the unit and communicate in a normal voice on high.
It also only pulls about 14 amps.

Hope this helps

Merlin

Good news! I'm looking forward to no more shouting and noise headaches.
Michigan

djsamuel

Quote from: gglkap1 on April 11, 2023, 05:09:05 PMI have had the Houghton 3400 heat pump for a year now on my 21RBS (2015 model)
You can stand under the unit and communicate in a normal voice on high.
It also only pulls about 14 amps.

Hope this helps

Great.  I assume you had the Dometic Penguin 2 A/C prior.  Was it a straightforward replacement?

Thanks.