Odd Size Torx Screws

Started by Iceman14, February 09, 2019, 09:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman14

Anyone encountering odd size Torx screws ?  The solution is as simple as visiting your nearest Ace Hardware or Home Improvement store.  Look for square drive bits ...in my case it was a #2 square drive bit.....it fit perfectly and allowed me to tighten screws that had worked loose.  There are multiple sizes available...sometimes kitchen cabinets are hung with these square drive screws.....I couldn't figure-out why nothing fit these Torx style screw heads....a guy at my local NAPA store put me onto the solution!  Just a FYI for frustrated do-it-yourselfers! My Travel Trailer happens to be a Livin Lite Axxess Toy Hauler....but these screws seem to used widely in the RV industry.

Steve Sanders

This came up a few years ago on one of the other Livin' Lite forums. Someone at the factory told us that they are not Torx. They are called #4 (I think) Double Square head. They are designed to use the square bit that you identified, but they are easier to engage with the bit because there are twice as many opportunities to fit onto the bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve Sanders

Ok... #2 Double Square.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gibby

Yup, I went through the same thing trying to find the "Torx" driver too.

Boy did I feel like a fool when I found out they are simple square head screws.

My square head driver is red, my trusty "Red Robertson", had it forever.
2014 21RBS
2121 F150 Lariat ,  3.5 Ecoboost, 4X4, SuperCrew