Wire Coding

Started by Whipfinisher, May 26, 2019, 07:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whipfinisher

I am about ready to replace my old vortex fan with a maxxfan.  The maxxfan instillation instructions state that the black wire on the fan is positive (+).    On the camplites, is the black wire to the fans negative (-) or positive (+)?    I am assuming that the black wire is negative, but I want to check on this forum first. 

Thanks. 

DavidM

Generally speaking, black should be negative. But check the polarity with a meter first.

David

Merlin

Take DavidM's advice and check with a meter. But, it is possible that if the fan has a black wire and a white wire that the black is + . And it is also possible that LL mis-wired the original fan.  :o
Michigan

Whipfinisher

Thanks Guys,

I checked the polarity with a multimeter.    On my camplite, the white wire is negative and the white/orange wire is positive.  The white/orange wire stays in the black conduit longer, so I thought it was the black wire.   

Tomorrow, I will make my first trip on the roof.   

Sylvain

I just replaced our old roof vent with a Maxxfan last weekend.  You are right, in the trailer the white-orange wire is the positive and the all white is the negative.  On the Maxxfan, the positive is the black wire and the white is the negative.  It's kind of a weird set up.  Maxxfan do have a circuit board inside so it's important to wire them properly otherwise you may end up burning the board. 

Hope that helps.

Whipfinisher

The Maxxfan instillation went smoothly.   The old dicor caulk was harder to remove that I anticipated.   The installation manual recommended connecting the wiring on the roof before attaching the fan to the bracket, however I easily connecting the wires from below inside of the camper.   I attached the bracket with 1.25 inch #10 self-tapping screws instead of the screws that came with the fan. 

The fan is much quieter than the original vortex fan.   

I'm tempted to change out the bathroom fan. 

Sylvain

Glad to hear it went smoothly.  I will change the bathroom fan next week!  Maxxfan are too nice, I can't live with the old one anymore!

Did you install this model?

Whipfinisher

Yep, that is the model I put on.   I think it is going to be a big improvement.   It will be nice to have the vent open in the rain.   I wish I had done this sooner. 

Hope your bathroom fan switch goes well!

Sylvain

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I completed the installation of the second Maxxfan in the bathroom.  I'm very happy with the result.  The only thing left to do is to seal it with Dicor and everything should be fine!

Merlin

Quote from: Sylvain on June 16, 2019, 10:04:36 AM
Hello everyone,
Yesterday I completed the installation of the second Maxxfan in the bathroom.  I'm very happy with the result.  The only thing left to do is to seal it with Dicor and everything should be fine!

Nice! What is the long black vent(?) on the left front of the roof?
Michigan

ADR

Looks like a fridge vent?   But doesn't seem to be in the right place....

Sylvain

Quote from: Merlin on June 16, 2019, 06:58:16 PM
Quote from: Sylvain on June 16, 2019, 10:04:36 AM
Hello everyone,

Nice! What is the long black vent(?) on the left front of the roof?

Indeed it's a fridge vent but it's for the A/C which is mounted to the wall underneath that vent.