New Antenna on 2016 21RBS

Started by Lap527, December 04, 2019, 04:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lap527

We just had a Winegard Sensor Wingman put on the 21RBS.  Before we only got 1 channel sitting in the yard and now we get 12! I do like the tv and news at night while in bed.  I was worried about how the dealership would install it, I certainly didn't want wires running down walls and things like that.  Dealership did the install because DH didn't want to tackle it.   Last time out camping I happen to notice the wall was wider between the microwave and pantry.  After looking around I noticed that each shelf in pantry has a panel and I found that is where the antenna wire comes in from the worthless, POS omni-directional antenna.  They did have to cut another hole in roof  about 2 inches from the original antenna. So now the crank up handle comes in at the top shelf of the pantry and I have an antenna that raises up about 2 feet with better reception.  My thinking was that once we get to our camping spot and we scan our channels we won't be moving the antenna anyway. We did the same thing with our TC and it's worked out great.   So far we replaced our entry door due to corrosion and the usb charging center.  Eventually we will have it top notch.  Cheers!
We are an all aluminum Livin Lite family. We currently own a 2013 Camplite 10.0 Truck camper and a 2016 21RBS travel trailer.  No wood ...No Rot!!

ADR

I'm going to get around to doing the same on our 16TBS.  The supplied antenna is junk for sure.

Lap527

Aggravating was not even close....I am one happy gal now!
We are an all aluminum Livin Lite family. We currently own a 2013 Camplite 10.0 Truck camper and a 2016 21RBS travel trailer.  No wood ...No Rot!!

GrampaKilt

What an opportune post! With dozens of other mods on my mind, I've actually never looked into what that white saucer was on top of my 14DB. Naïvely, I always thought live TV was a campground cable hook up thing and consequently, have never checked for over the air channels :P

Looking through all the pamphlets that came with the TT, it appears the disk is a Winegard Roadstar Omnidirectional Antenna (no product #), obviously vintage 2013 or so.

I would appreciate advice on whether I should bother to upgrade, and if I do, models (omnidirectional only) worth installing and installation challenges, if any. Thank you. GK

Lap527

We do State Parks and they never have cable hookup. We lease a RV site in NC and have cable so it is not needed there. The mod is good for someone that enjoys watching tv while camped using off air.  I suppose that you could look into a King Jack antenna but for us I wanted to get more height from the antenna hence the Winegard Batwing. The King Jack might be what you are looking for.  I am not sure how it mounts or if it would fit in the original antenna spot.  Sorrry not much help...let us know what you decide. 

ADR

My 2018 has a King Omni-Pro.   Doesn't work very well.
Omni's never work as well as a directional antenna.
I'm putting a directional on mine when I do change it.

Lap527

ADR,  That is exactly why we went with the Winegard Sensor IV with the wingman, I think that is what it is called. LOL!  I am not sure if the King Jack and the King Omni-Pro are the same type of antenna.  I do know the King Jack rotates inside the housing and has a meter for the signal strength.  As I stated earlier I just wanted to get some height and ability to point antenna in a different direction.  Please let us know how your mod works when you decide to change it out.  Thanks!

Powder Hounds

Hello,

That original flying saucer antenna had to go, I'm glad others have decided to change theirs out. It has been on my list for a while but just had to save for it.

I decided that a multi use antenna would fit our requirements better than an RV specific one. Decided on an Antop AT 800SBSJ, this model is generally used for roof mounts or attics but it can be used in other types of installs as well. When we are not on the road
We can use it in our condo, extra bonus.

Sourced out some aluminum schedule 40 pipe with a diameter of 1-1/4" and 1" so I could telescope the two. Fastened the base pole on my rear bumper with a square bolt ran the cable up the poles attached the Antop and then got creative! I like using existing elements rather than having to just put everything in new. So, I connected the new antenna to the exterior park-cable in connection, never used that for anything as we don't really stay in RV parks. After that I found the cable connection in the original Winegard antenna booster, disconnected it and connected the new amplifier to that. So, I just used the original park cable to connect to the new antenna, plugged a USB to DC power source from the amplifier into the USB plug on the back of the TV. Hope this makes sense? When I have everything installed the way I want I will post some more pics.

Ran a channel scan and presto! Went from 15 so so channels with the old unit to crystal clear 30 channels! I can also connect our stereo to it as well for better FM reception as a bonus. It does take a few minutes to install the poles but not that bad. We generally stay in one spot for 14 days so really it is a non issue.

Ironically this morning we had lots of feathers at the base of the antenna, a bird of prey had it's breakfast on top of the unit. We could just see some blood and feathers stuck to it as well.

GrampaKilt

Your install, PH, checks a lot of boxes for me, from the creative idea of using the external cable connection to ADR's comment that any omnidirectional upgrade unit can't compete with directional.

There's a Winegard booster somewhere? I don't recall seeing something like that, or maybe I didn't know what I was looking at. Where is it usually located? Also, do you think the 'J' pole with the SBS is necessary? Looking forward to your next pics. Gk

Powder Hounds

Well I finally got around to finishing things up. Very happy with the results. The TV picture quality is superb and the FM reception is fantastic, the power  boost feature is pretty impressive.

From the pics you can see the pole mount and the bolt that allows me to rotate the antenna and adjust the height as well. Gives me room to lower it without any issues hitting the trailer.

I removed the original cable antenna in from the booster added an RCA adapter to run a longer piece of cable to the new booster. You can access the original booster specs from WG so you know what each cable is. Also depending on the direction of how LL mounted the booster makes things a bit confusing. Pretty basic though.

I also ordered another basic booster from Antop because it came with a USB power plug. The TV only provides power to the USB plug if it is on, so, if you want the FM feature to work you must power it. For the radio I just unscrewed the cable from the stereo and attached the new one from the Antop booster. Very easy to reconnect the original unit. My wife has a little inverter to charge here laptop so that is what we use to power the booster when listening to the radio. When watching TV we use the DC cigarette plug as usual and then just plug the antenna into the TV.  Couple more steps but much better than what came with the trailer. In Gilla Bend AZ we picked up one FM station with the WG unit and with the Antop we have six. No OTA channels though, too many mountains around. Decided to invert the mounting of the booster because it was just easier with the cables running into the stereo cabinet top down.

For the j pole, not sure I would use it but I can see that it could be used. Don't really like the idea of having it bolted on the trailer.

When you spend a lot of time in your rig it is nice to just chill and watch TV sometimes. With having more OTA channels now it just adds a little more comfort on those cold rainy days.

Merlin

Thanks taking the time to post with info and photos. That booster looks like something I'd like to add. Nice job.
Michigan

GrampaKilt

Thanks for the additional pics, PH!

Once again I am compelled to confess my naïvety regarding this subject (hoping I'm not the only one out there). I assumed (there's that word again) that antenna TV signals and RV park CATV worked seemlessly together. No wonder CATV never worked, grrrh! I guess everyone except me knows what that little black button on the wall plate is for. (I got it, must turn off antenna for CATV to work :o )

PH, am I to understand you now have 2 Antop boosters, the one that came with the antenna, plus another?? GK

Powder Hounds

I think I understand, you have to push the little black power button on the booster for the antenna to receive OTA TV signals or to receive better FM radio frequencies. Then, in your TV menu settings you must select the air mode and auto scan. This will scan available TV signals in your area.

If you connect your exterior cable plug to an RV park cable, or any available cable outlet you then have to turn your booster off, unless your listening to the radio then just leave it on. Select cable mode from your TV menu. Your TV must be in the correct mode to match the incoming signals. Cable TV or Over The Air signals. Maybe you just didn't have the TV set correctly, hence no reception?

Does this make sense? Hope I am not off base for you?

GrampaKilt

PH, not off base. I was mostly bemoaning the fact that no Winegard document or the LL owner's manual ever mentioned to turn off the booster if I wanted to watch CATV. To me it's not that self-evident.

As for the 2 booster inquiry, I think I might understand that now. You use the Antop booster that came with the antenna for the TV and bought another Antop booster (able to be powered by USB) for your FM?? But I have another question: Can you boost a booster? In other words, does the original Wingard booster still contribute to signal strength or have you bypassed it? Thanks. GK