Converter replacement

Started by MTCamper, August 20, 2022, 01:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTCamper

It appears my PD 4000 series converter on my 2014 16DBS has died an untimely death. Any suggestions for a replacement/upgrade that would be any easy swap?

MTCamper

I should have mentioned I currently use 2 6volt deep cycle but may upgrade to lithium in a few years.

DavidM

Unfortunately PD, AFAIK does not make a converter that will work with both Li and FLA batteries. Others like IOTA may and I think that their charger will fit in the same place that the OEM charger does now.

So check out IOTA.

David

Merlin

If you're up for the LiFePO4 battery conversion now, PD does make a direct replacement for the 4000 series specifically for those. This could be one of those -make lemonade out of a lemon- things.  ;)

I would call or email etrailer.com to get a replacement converter for lithium or lead-acid batteries.

One 100Ah Battle Born would provide about the same useable power as those two lead acid batteries because the lithium can be discharged much more without damage.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/

Michigan

RV Squirrel

If you do get a LiFeP04 converter, you may want to get a "two-stage" model instead of a single-stage model. When I was considering the PD4045CSV unit mentioned above a few months ago, it only supported single-stage... meaning that it always charged at 14.6V.  Two-stage models will "know" when the charging process is getting to the end, and adjust the voltage to 13.6V, which is better for Lithium batteries. Perhaps PD has updated the PD4045CSV to include two-stage capability?  I know that they were considering this a few months back, but don't know if they actually completed it. On the plus side, I believe the PD4045CSV had a jumper that allowed one to "switch" between lead-acid an lithium batteries.

Since I was no longer using my lead-acid battery, I went with the PD "deck mount" PD9145ALV.  It only supports Lithium, but is a two-stage charger.

Merlin

Quote from: RV Squirrel on August 25, 2022, 09:57:59 PMIf you do get a LiFeP04 converter, you may want to get a "two-stage" model instead of a single-stage model. When I was considering the PD4045CSV unit mentioned above a few months ago, it only supported single-stage... meaning that it always charged at 14.6V.  Two-stage models will "know" when the charging process is getting to the end, and adjust the voltage to 13.6V, which is better for Lithium batteries. Perhaps PD has updated the PD4045CSV to include two-stage capability?  I know that they were considering this a few months back, but don't know if they actually completed it. On the plus side, I believe the PD4045CSV had a jumper that allowed one to "switch" between lead-acid an lithium batteries.

Since I was no longer using my lead-acid battery, I went with the PD "deck mount" PD9145ALV.  It only supports Lithium, but is a two-stage charger.

Thanks for noting that. I checked with etrailer.com and they say they have sold their last stock of the single stage and have only the new 2 stage available. I don't know about those at Battle Born, so I'd call etrailer.com to get a new converter for any type battery. They will have just what's needed.
Michigan