Interstate or not - what is your preference?

Started by mojospeople, April 21, 2017, 12:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojospeople

I don't recall seeing any discussion on this topic before and I'm wondering what others prefer. When I'm not towing I'm a pedal-to-the-metal, radar detector sort of driver. So, interstates unless I have time to kill and then I'll meander at sensible speeds on side roads.

As you can imagine, towing presents a challenge to a speed demon like me but surprisingly I have found a sort of zen in picking a speed and sticking in the right lane and being passed. Which brings me to my question:

If you're towing under the interstate speed limits do you prefer to take the side roads where you're speed is closer to the posted limit but it is harder for others to pass you, or do you just drive the speed you're comfortable at on the interstate? 

Pinstriper

When I have a trailer, I don't give a hoot about who is impatient with me. I am sticking to what I know is safe and to hell with everybody. On the interstate that means right lane with the occasional center lane to pass a real slow mover. On a 2 lane I am going no faster than I consider safe , which is generally the speed limit, or in curves the advisory speed.i have never been so slow as to be below the advisory with people backed up. Then you should take the turnout and let them pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Merlin

100% agree with Pinstriper.

I choose roads based on what I want to see and what I think is safe, not on speed limits. On the Interstate, unless I have to scoot around someone quickly, I'm towing at no more than 60. Going down the road, my total rig weight is close to 10K lbs and I'm keenly aware of what that means for emergency maneuvers. 

I like the analogy to the Zen of running relatively slower and I'm in!
Michigan

gbpack

On our recent trip to the Southwest, we generally took the interstate highways because we usually had significant miles that we needed to accomplish when moving from one area to another. The posted speed limits varied (usually 70 or 75mph), but we usually traveled right at 65 most of the time. We would mostly travel in the center lane (even though we were 10 mph under the speed limit) because I preferred not dealing with the generally poorer road conditions in the right hand lane (from the heavy truck traffic) as well as all of the exiting and merging traffic that comes with being in that lane. It usually worked well (being on the center lane), as people would pass us on both sides without any problems or discord. I would say that if you're going to travel slower than that (more than 10 mph slower than the speed limit), then you should be in the right lane. And if you're going to be traveling 20 mph slower than the posted speed limit, then it would be good to have your hazard lights flashing (while driving in the right lane) or don't travel on the interstates. I like traveling the interstates but you can't go too slow compared with the other traffic. Just my preference and humble opinion!

Capt J-rod

Our towing speed is determined by two things, the happiness of the truck and the ratings of the tires. I use a scan gauge 2 to monitor my transmission temps. I try to keep them under 210. Fourth gear in my truck at 55-60 does this well. 60-65mph is also good but I can use 5th if it's flat. I never tow in 6th aka over drive. Most trailer tires are rated for 65mph. I rarely get over 65 unless it is absolutely necessary. Apparently the tires that were used on 1980's crappy pop ups were rated way higher because I always get passed by at least 10 of these when traveling LOL. I also see a lot of guys pulled off changing these little doughnuts. Wheel diameter plays a big roll as well because it reduces the RPMs of the wheel bearings. This was one of the big factors that drew me to camp lite... Tandem axle with large radial tires makes for a sweet towing machine. We avoid the main interstate if there are suitable alternatives. Everything is very happy at or below 65.

Pinstriper

Trying to come up with the circumstances that qualify for "absolutely necessary to tow at faster than 65 mph"....

So far I have:

Zombies !
Nucular missiles inbound
Tsunami warning that nobody else knows about
Gotta hit the ramp at 65 or you won't clear the last bus - no, wait - that's an Evel Kneivel reason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Capt J-rod

Semi's on all sides and the rest of traffic is doing 80 plus... Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Never for an extended run, but there have been a few times. Not what I call fun. Speed limit in northern Michigan is now 75, Ohio turnpike 70. Not that I participate, but plenty of trailers do.  Oh and the zombies... Can't forget them.

ammobob

This is why I put D rated tires on our camper and have no issues doing 70 on the interstates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Sanders

I go with the flow of traffic, towing or not.

Speed ratings on tires are for three hour sustained speed at max load and max pressure. Since these campers (Quicksilver) are well under 50% of max load, we're nowhere close to the limits of the tires. Engine and transmission temperature could be an issue, but it never has been a problem for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Diversteve

Just remember the speed limit is the MAXIMUM speed.
It is not the required speed or the suggested speed it is the maximum allowed speed when conditions are near perfect.
If traffic is heavy, visibility is limited or when roads are wet, the limit should not be achieved.
The number one cause of traffic accidents is excessive speed.
Slow down and live longer.

Merlin

Quote from: Steve Sanders on September 20, 2017, 04:10:49 PM
I go with the flow of traffic, towing or not.

Speed ratings on tires are for three hour sustained speed at max load and max pressure. Since these campers (Quicksilver) are well under 50% of max load, we're nowhere close to the limits of the tires. Engine and transmission temperature could be an issue, but it never has been a problem for me.

That's not how tire speed ratings are determined. See this tech article from the Tire Rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

There is some additional speed rating info in this tech article on trailer tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=309

You can draw your own conclusions and make your own guesses about the safety of exceeding the speed rating of the tires on your trailer or tow vehicle. With our new 75 mph Interstate speed limits in Michigan, traffic flow is close to 80 mph. You'll never find me going that fast while towing.
Michigan

PaulJ

Just one quick comment: at blowout at 60 mph and a blowout at 70 mph are quiet different, and I know because I have had both. I will do 60 mph and prefer secondary roads.  The time difference per 1000 miles is about and HOUR longer on secondary roads, than Interstates where all the zombies and crazy's are.  Safe is better than buying a new trailer! Plus they do not build them like many of ours anymore.

Diversteve

Agreed, 10 MPH makes a lot of difference.
On the subject of flowing with the traffic I learned a long time ago when travelling was part of my job that if you flow with the traffic you are always in traffic.
Let the small groups of people that go with the flow move on their way, typically these groups are 6 to 10 vehicles.
Life is too short to get in a hurry.
Slow down and enjoy the trip.

FastEddieB

Interstates mostly. Usually enough backroads for us as we near destinations.

Since our little Flex is right up against its towing limits with our 21BHS, I feel most comfortable with the cruise control set for 55 mph and hugging the right lane as much as possible. Gas mileage is better at slower speeds, usually getting us 11 to 12 mpg.

All our towing - about 15,000 miles over 3 1/2 years - has been east of the Mississippi, from PA to FL. At least in that part of the country, I find truckers and others quite willing to ease around us at that speed. I "flash" truckers when it's safe to pull back to the right, and often get the polite flash of their taillights in response.

As an aside, zero "pucker" moments to date. Maybe luck, but like DocktorJJ and Diversteve I think lower speeds make any possible "oopsies" far less dramatic*.

*In at least one case, Waze alerted us to a road hazard at night - a large chunk of tire tread in the road - that slowing down allowed us to avoid. Highly recommended.

Steve Sanders

A significant factor is the weight of the trailer and the load on the tires. I'm towing a pop up that weighs less than 1,500 pounds and is shorter (height and length) than my TV. If I was towing a 3,500 pound trailer, it would be a very different situation.