Battery replacement

Started by gbpack, January 21, 2020, 10:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbpack

Hi everyone. We are likely getting close to having to replace the trailer batteries in our 2015 CampLite 21BHS. Right now we have two deep cycle 6-volt batteries (lead-acid) connected in series which have given us good service over the years. Looking to stick with two 6-volt batteries again this time but are strongly considering switching over to AGM type batteries instead of the lead-acid. I know that AGM's are quite a bit more expensive but I'm tired of always having to clean the battery post and cable connectors that are constantly becoming corroded, and it looks like the battery cables are going to have to be replaced as well. I've read up on the AGM's and it sounds like they would do a good job for us. I know that some of you have AGM's and would be interested in hearing your thoughts. If we go with AGM's, we wouldn't have to change to a different converter, would we? I read something about not being able to use a regular (standard) type of battery charger on them but wasn't sure if that meant having to have a special type of converter as well (my guess is not having to change out the converter). Thanks!

DavidM

Here is what I think, some absolute for sure knowledge, some speculation which I will note:

AGMs are more expensive than 6V FLAs for sure. I don't know anything about them, but I have been eyeing this Group 31 AGM, two of which would give you the same amp hour capacity as your two GCs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BS1ZB15/?coliid=I1GN91CMNUIFQ1&colid=3RQ44LC06SQ2O&psc=1. Windynation is a well known solar systems supplier so I have a bit of confidence in this product.

I strongly suspect that their is no difference between AGMs designated as deep cycle and general purpose AGMs: the construction is the same.

When AGMs first came out there were no AGM specific battery chargers but the battery manufacturer's said that you could use FLA settings ok. Now they don't say that so much, but it still may be true. If you are concerned an upgrade you may want to consider is changing out the current converter to an IOTA DLS/IQ 30 amp for about $180. The IOTA is a well respected charger and has separate setttings for FLA and AGMs. See https://www.amazon.com/DLS-30-12VDC-BATTERY-CHARGER-CONTROLLER/dp/B071ZYVG2B/ref=sr_1_6?crid=WJ2646ZGTGVC&keywords=iota+charger&qid=1579619344&s=electronics&sprefix=iota+ch%2Celectronics%2C203&sr=1-6. High end AGMs like Lifelines cost twice as much.

Finally if you have two AGMs wired in parallel that takes one less jumper/connections as your two GC wired in series and may corrode just as much. I say may as your corrosion may be a result of the FLAs releasing a bit of sulfuric acid when they charge. That is pure speculation on my part ;-).

David

gbpack

Thanks David. I will look into the converter you mention. And yes, I'm certain that the corrosion from our FLA's is due to sulfuric acid off-gassing during the charging period. It's just nasty and a constant problem, so that is why we're probably going to go with AGM's. I know that others on this board have put them in and I don't think they've changed out their converters, so I look forward to hearing from them. Thanks again for the quick and informative response.

Merlin

I have 2 Duracell Ultra AGM group 31m 12V batteries in parallel in my camper's battery box working great since 2014 and have required zero maintenance.  They are relatively inexpensive at Sams Club. They are so-called marine batteries and so are not true deep cycle like golf cart GC2 6V batteries. However, they have not apparently been harmed by either deep discharging (to 50%) or by charging with the OEM converter or by my solar charge controller. The same battery is available at Batteries Plus Bulbs but at a much higher price than Sams Club. The Windy Nation batteries linked by David are likely excellent based on reputation (both David's and Windy Nation's  :) ) and are in the ball park same price.
Michigan

gbpack

Thanks Merlin. The more I read about AGM's, it doesn't sound like they need a different converter than what is already installed I our trailers. And as I read the responses from you and David it sounds like the preferred configuration would be two 12-volt AGM's wired in parallel instead of two 6-volt AGM's wired in series, is that correct?

Merlin

I don't think it makes any real difference to go with either 6V or 12V batteries. However, if you already have a battery box set up for 2 of the GC2 size golf cart batteries, does it make sense to get the AGM version of those? By all means replace the cables and anything in your current battery box because of the corrosion you've described.
Michigan

DavidM

You can also buy GC batteries in AGM style. So no it really doesn't make any difference between two 6V GCs wired in series or two 12V Group 31 batteries wired in parallel. Either gives you about the same AH capacity.

I am somewhat conflicted about AGMs. I truly believe that flooded lead acid (non AGM) GCs give you the most bang for the buck and are the best battery for long life in deep cycle use.

But since I don't need that many AHs I am considering replacing my long in the tooth Interstate Group 24 that has served us well with a single Windy Nation Group 31 AGM battery. That will boost our AH capacity to 100 from 65-70 and is all we will ever need. I expect that battery will do fine in deep cycle use. I also will enjoy not adding water and perhaps a bigger bonus- AGMs self discharge slowly so I can leave it in place all winter. Also I have had terminal corrosion on the G24 and maybe that will go away with the AGM.

So if you need the capacity, go with two Group 31 AGMs or if you already have a twin GC battery box, look for AGM GCs.

David

PDX David

I have no experience or advice regarding AGM batteries, but when facing a similar decision last year in preparation for a trip to Alaska, I bit the bullet and replaced two 6v batteries with a 12v Lithium Ion 100 AH battery.  I don't regret it one bit and consider it (and the 200 W of solar on the roof) as the most useful and cost-effective upgrade I've done to my 16 TBS.  Yes there is an upfront premium cost, but I don't expect to ever have to replace the battery as long as I hope to own the rig (10-15 years).  AND, they require basically no maintenance, which is my downfall leading to the failure of previous batteries. I don't even have to bring inside in the winter or leave plugged into a charger.

........David

gbpack

So the deed is done. We bought two 6-volt golf cart Trojan AGM batteries and had new cables installed as well. And the existing converter seems to be doing well with charging them. No more battery and corrosion problems. As is well in the world! Thanks everyone for all of your assistance!

Merlin

Quote from: gbpack on April 22, 2020, 03:42:39 PM
So the deed is done. We bought two 6-volt golf cart Trojan AGM batteries and had new cables installed as well. And the existing converter seems to be doing well with charging them. No more battery and corrosion problems. As is well in the world! Thanks everyone for all of your assistance!

Looks good and you'll have plenty of power. How are those fastened down?

Wintry conditions here in Michigan on Earth Day. Snowing and 35F. Yeesh!
Michigan

Powder Hounds

Enjoy! We have the same batteries, picked them up last fall.

We are rarely plugged into shore power, but if we are treating ourselves I make sure to unplug a couple times a day. Maybe it is just me, but I don't like the converter going into equalization mode and charging at 14.4 volts for 15 minutes when the batteries are all ready at a full SOC.

gbpack

Good to know Powderhounds. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Merlin, if you'll remember, we have a large battery box up front with a lid that slides from side to side (or completely off if needed). So they are locked down inside of that. There are compartments on each side of the batteries for wheel chocks and leveling blocks, and rubber pads for under the stabilizing jacks.

ADR

I recently picked up a BattleBorn LiFePo4 battery for my 2018 16TBS.  Very pricey at $950-  or so it seems.
Actually it is less expensive in the long run than any lead acid based battery.    Have yet to camp with it since the Covid19 canceled our reservations.

In other news- I also just picked up a 2015 Aliner Scout.  I think I'm going to move the BattleBorn to it for a summer trip with the 13 yr old grandson.   We'll be hitting 4wd trails and towing the Aliner to places I wouldn't dare try to take the CampLite.
We did an 11 National Park almost 10k mile trip when he was 10.   I was shocked when at 13 he wants to go again!  I will do everything I can to make that happen :)

Merlin

Quote from: ADR on May 06, 2020, 09:08:57 PM
I recently picked up a BattleBorn LiFePo4 battery for my 2018 16TBS.  Very pricey at $950-  or so it seems.
Actually it is less expensive in the long run than any lead acid based battery.    Have yet to camp with it since the Covid19 canceled our reservations.

In other news- I also just picked up a 2015 Aliner Scout.  I think I'm going to move the BattleBorn to it for a summer trip with the 13 yr old grandson.   We'll be hitting 4wd trails and towing the Aliner to places I wouldn't dare try to take the CampLite.
We did an 11 National Park almost 10k mile trip when he was 10.   I was shocked when at 13 he wants to go again!  I will do everything I can to make that happen :)

Good choice of battery. I have one of those for my boat and they are great. I am considering several more for my home solar system. They will be my next camper battery too. I hope you find this summer's trip as great as your last one.
Michigan

ADR

Quote from: Merlin on May 07, 2020, 09:17:41 PM
Quote from: ADR on May 06, 2020, 09:08:57 PM

Good choice of battery. I have one of those for my boat and they are great. I am considering several more for my home solar system. They will be my next camper battery too. I hope you find this summer's trip as great as your last one.

Well the trip isn't getting off to a great start- got notice yesterday from Recreation.gov they have canceled our Rocky Mountain National Park reservations. :-\

Apparently they decided to extend their covid lockdown.