Shower pan and TV mount

Started by nolichuckyjake, October 27, 2017, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nolichuckyjake

Two issues that I have some criticism of in our new CL:

The shower pan (floor) has no support under it--other than (obvously) around the perimeter.  At only 175 lbs., when I step from one spot to another, there is significant flexing, and I am concerned that this will be a source of problems sooner rather than later--either fiberglass failure, or plumbing loosening and causing leaks.

The trailer was shipped to me with last year's TV mounting arm--which was ridiculous.  It did not allow turning the TV toward the living space.  It's limit was parallel to the length of the trailer.    After mentioning this, a new articulating arm was sent--the new model for 2018, which indeed allowed for plenty of movement toward the dinette, but weighs so much the TV is 3/4"-1" off level when extended.
This isn't a tragedy, but the blocking in the wall needs to be significantly increased.  As it is, the wall flexes at least 1/2" when the arm is extended.

Have not found anything else so far that I regard as a defect.   Of course, the door lock sucks, the sink is too shallow and the faucet set is super-cheap.  But I wasn't expecting much more than I got.  I think the trailer is solidly built--for a 3400 lb. unit.  No problems so far with leakage (in two serious rain/windstorms) or plumbing problems.  Everything works.

Merlin

My 16TBS was built in the fall of '14, so I'm not sure if what I know applies......but......the shower pan you stand on is an extremely thin plastic that would never hold you up if there were nothing underneath at all. Most likely the floor has the heavy plastic support (about 1/2" thick) that does flex a bit. Under the heavy plastic support sheet is supposed to be a few vertical supports that rest on the floor of the trailer and are spaced just often enough to hold up the heavy plastic sheet. If those were missing, you would get the symptoms you have. If you don't mind a bit of detective work on your own, the side of the shower base is removable and you can look underneath to see what's going on. It takes a flashlight, a #2 square drive, and some contortions to get down there as I recall. I had to completely redo my shower base because of a mis-aligned drain.

It's odd the wall behind the TV flexes. In my camper, that's a well-braced wall with special extra 1" square tubing welded in to bolt the bracket to. If your wall flexes +1/2" when the TV is on there, I would get that checked out at the dealer. Maybe a weld broke or wasn't done. That may eventually cause wall failure; that's a lot of flex! :-\
Michigan

gbpack

The floor of our shower flexes quite a bit also, so if I had to guess, I'd say that's just the way it's designed and built. I suppose you could always tear everything out and rebuild it differently if you wanted to shore up the pan support. 😊

Diversteve

Ours feel the same.
I always assumed it was part of the design.
We have not had any problems in the three years and many showers that we have enjoyed,

nolichuckyjake

Quote from: Merlin on October 27, 2017, 08:58:26 PM
My 16TBS was built in the fall of '14, so I'm not sure if what I know applies......but......the shower pan you stand on is an extremely thin plastic that would never hold you up if there were nothing underneath at all. Most likely the floor has the heavy plastic support (about 1/2" thick) that does flex a bit. Under the heavy plastic support sheet is supposed to be a few vertical supports that rest on the floor of the trailer and are spaced just often enough to hold up the heavy plastic sheet. If those were missing, you would get the symptoms you have. If you don't mind a bit of detective work on your own, the side of the shower base is removable and you can look underneath to see what's going on. It takes a flashlight, a #2 square drive, and some contortions to get down there as I recall. I had to completely redo my shower base because of a mis-aligned drain.

It's odd the wall behind the TV flexes. In my camper, that's a well-braced wall with special extra 1" square tubing welded in to bolt the bracket to. If your wall flexes +1/2" when the TV is on there, I would get that checked out at the dealer. Maybe a weld broke or wasn't done. That may eventually cause wall failure; that's a lot of flex! :-\

Under the shower pan is exactly as you described it, though I can't tell of what material or how thick the "subfloor" of the pan is.  The aluminum support frame is there, though why they didn't add two more cross-members and make the floor relatively rigid is a mystery.  I may add a couple of shims sitting on the floor, to firm it up.  The flexing could cause the drain to move enough to cause a leak, and there is wiring under there--I assume from the tail lights.

RE: the TV,
I added an oak board across the width of the wall which vaguely resembles wainscotting and it firmed up the flexing of the wall a good bit.   The TV is still out of level, mostly due to slop in the wall mounting bracket.   I'll work on that sometime--will need to machine the mounting screw holes in the TV mounting bracket to rotate the TV to level.