Thanks for the subforum Paul

Started by ToolmanJohn, September 12, 2017, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToolmanJohn

First post in the new Aluminum Trailer Company (ATC) subforum.

I ordered my ATC 7X20 in April, and tried to take delivery in mid May, HA fat chance. Problems right away. But fate, or terrible communications (really it wasn't my fault), caused a huge problem with what I was supposed to get. As a result my trailer had to go BACK to the factory for modification.

I won't rant here about the deep reasons I had to wait that long for my trailer, but suffice to say that it took almost 3 months for ATC to make it right. After I actually took delivery in mid August (finally), I have had to make a few modifications and additions to the camper.

First I will lead off by describing what I had to do to make things "right" so far. A couple of items that any maker of living quarters trailers should do:

FINAL QUALITY CHECK: Or at least make each department very aware of their responsibilities. My furnace was making a racket on 1st delivery. I knew the fan was contacting the shroud. I have had experience with camper furnaces and I had one apart for a similar issue and resolved it myself. So ATC didn't hear the issue, and my dealer also did not notice. I was also told "that's what they sound like".. No, they don't sir... So one week later, a NEW furnace is installed and it's quiet.

BATTERY PREP: It came with one battery box for a 12 volt. I didn't want that 12 volt, I installed two 6 volt GC batteries (Trojan T-105) instead to get as much juice as possible. It took a couple of days for me to properly install a 2 GC box, and  vent it as well. Made my own cables, it turned out great. I also ordered a 150 watt solar panel option for the camper, so the batteries are always peaked off. No charging before a trip. And dry camping with no hookups is possible, I don't really have any 120VAC needs, except maybe someday I'll want the A/C. I'll have to decide if I want to lug a generator, or pay for camping with electric at that point.

MIRRORED MEDICINE CABINET. Removed the cheap $6 wall mount mirror, cut out the wall, framed with aluminum angle, and installed a cheap $30 medicine cabinet in the same location. I may in the future frame it out a little more solidly but for now it works for me. I have somewhere to put toothpaste.

USB CHARGE PORTS:  Why, oh why, are there NO charge ports. The only 12V accessory socket is in a kitchen overhead cabinet in the ceiling and it's meant for a TV option I did not want. Very inaccessible for plugging a USB charger for the phone or tablet. I don't carry a ton of tech with me, but a phone needs charging, and not everyone will be camping in a campground. I had to again, buy a USB charge panel with voltmeter, 12V port, 2 USB sockets, and power switch. Wire the whole thing into a voltage bus that I bought to make extra low voltage fused circuits. The result looks great.

TOILET PAPER HOLDER: I mean c'mon... Spend a giant chunk of money on a quality aluminum unit and NO TP holder??? And the funniest thing is, there is absolutely NO logical place to install one at all. The toilet, being in a corner and facing out diagonally, means that the walls adjacent to the toilet are both behind you, and there are almost no walls there at all to mount a holder anyway. The large floor to ceiling closet  door opens flush to the vanity. A TP holder would drastically interfere with the door.

I am planning to make a fully recessed box out of composite fiberboard plastic, and install that box into the lower part of the vanity, so the door cannot hit it at all, but the TP will be right there in plain view and use.

ELECTRIC HAPPIJAC BED: Yes it's nice to be able to get the bed out of the way to bring a motorcycle into the toy hauler, but because they are made for two bunks, even if you only order one bed, it creates a HUGE space problem. The upper bunk options are left installed. These prevent the lower bunk from reaching the ceiling (5 inches of wasted space. SO I had to duck under the bed when it is fully up. Bah.

I definitely wanted the bed nearly as low as possible for sleeping (who wants to climb into bed using a step stool, what am I, 10 years old?? No, I am not..). This meant the upper trolleys that would normally carry the bunk had to go. Which meant after MUCH investigation that I had to cut them in half using a jigsaw. Then wrangler the two halves of each trolley out with pliers. FINALLY the bed lowers to normal height and also goes as high as possible, no more ducking a few inches and some head room underneath. It should be this way from the factory when ordering ONE bed.

I'll finally get to take it on a mountain bike trip this month. Hopefully no more issues.

Here's a couple of outside pictures.

Capt J-rod

Sucks to have to do that much to a new trailer... At least it will hold up for the long haul once you get her de-bugged. Beautiful rig you have there!

Merlin

Sounds like you are well on your way to making it your own with mods. That ladder up the side to the roof luggage rack looks pretty cool. What will you keep up there? Now that you have the initial stuff worked out, it will be fun to hear of your adventures. Where's the mountain biking trip going?
Michigan

ToolmanJohn

This is my third camper in 5 years, just couldn't stay satisfied. Every one required some form of modification, whether it was mechanical, electrical, or just plain practical.

The ladder is OE, for inspection and cleaning, but the storage bin area was an option. When I start making my "big" trips (weeks-months on the road), I plan on getting a "dry" bag up there for extra whatever, probably clothing. Although there's a TON of storage space and cabinet space in the ATC, I could see needing different temperature clothing at all times. It will be nice to have that option up there. I will only put rarely used, needed items up there that are easily replaced.

One of the mods I'm considering is installing a large sliding drawer under the frame in front of the forward axle. plenty of room there to do so. I have a 3.5" optional lift so there's some room to play.

Originally, I was supposed to go to Vermont on Memorial Day weekend, but that plan was completely ruined by a build issue. Then I was supposed to have the camper back first week of August, and go to Canada 2 weeks later. That also blew up. No camper until almost mid August.

So now, late September, the maiden voyage will be at East Burke, Vermont at Kingdom Trails for 4 days of biking. Although, usually one day is reserved for a brewery tour, beer run. I'll be at a campground that has no hookups whatsoever. I will likely even have to use the furnace, but I prefer my portable Mr Heater heater because it's so quiet.