ProPride P3 - experience?

Started by Hardluck700, October 20, 2018, 01:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardluck700

I picked up a, like new, ProPride (Hensley) hitch for $700. I will to use in on my 26' Livin Lite TH. It's 5400 lb dry on my Land Cruiser TV with 8100lb tow capacity.

At $2600, it might be overkill. For what I paid, it may be worth the peace of mind.

I have a Fastway E2 sway control hitch now. It was a little dicey rolling through busy Chicago freeway traffic.  My wife was is not happy. I assured her that this would help solve the issue, along with correct setup and weight loading.

Fortunately, I picked it up from a former LL owner with the exact same trailer. Has the custom yoke bar mount.

Does anyone here have any experience with this hitch? Good, bad? Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADR

I'm curious-  what was "the issue" with the E2?

Hardluck700

I wouldn't call it an issue. I had my weight in the back and had a serious sway. I suspect it was more my issue than the hitch. It was pretty scary. Too fast on a wet road too. Slowing down, loading correctly and some additional usage should go a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

I've no experience with that hitch, but here are a couple thoughts......

The Land Cruiser has a very high receiver. Does the ProPride allow you to lower the trailer tongue enough to get the trailer level? To control sway, you really don't want the trailer front higher than the rear (or at least not by much).

Just loading the trailer properly to get 10%-15% of the total trailer weight on the hitch will help a lot with most sway on Camplites. Not sure about toy haulers.

I use Firestone RideRite airbags in the rear springs of my Land Cruiser to support the extra overall (tongue and LC cargo) weight. My Andersen WDH mostly just controls sway and with the airbags, everything is nice and level. f you have +500 lbs of  tongue weight, you might want to consider the airbags.

Edit: One more things.....don't ever go by dry weight on a trailer. Always go by GVWR and take the time to get things weighed when loaded so you know what's going on. I've got a tongue weight scale I can loan you for the cost of shipping. Send me a private message if you're interested in that.
Michigan