No More Sway! Update

Started by GoElectric, June 28, 2023, 09:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoElectric

We bought the Andersen Hitch to get ready for our long trip.  I installed per instructions with a 1 1/2" higher than level as instructed and went light on the tightening of the chains. I lowered the jack but it did nothing but stayed 1 1/2' high.  Called Andersen and they said lower the ball which leveled it but still no weight transfer to TV.  Took it out to see what it will do test drive, no weight in front (no propane, nothing under bed, no water etc, and back box weight full) and it minded its manners with little to no wag, and would handle one reasonably harsh avoidance manner, but had to back off immediately on the second one.  (I was on a wide, safe deserted road).

I went to a nearby campsite and filled up the water tank, loaded the stuff back under the bed, and completely unloaded the box on back. Did the same tests and it did a little better doing a modest secondary avoidance. But all in all not really much better than the sway bar. Recovery from a harsh sway at speeds was really not comfortably there. Several pictures back and for and long calls with Andersen and many adjustments to chain tension and it's really not much better. Did notice the trailer has some yaw on curves with the hitch (not going fast, but enough to feel roll in opposite direction that I didn't feel before). Will take curves a little slower.  Also felt every bump the trailer hits, which I think we could get used to, but not preferred.

Summary, Andersen help minorly with drivability sway but not severe sway so we returned it.  I got on the Internet and started googling "Still have sway problems with Andersen" and noticed the people in general having the most issues are us with the lighter aluminum and fiberglass trailers and then I came across two different proactive sway controllers. The first was GPS controlled and the second was Tuson.  We bought the Tuson and I installed it and it works great. Wow, Proactive sway control makes all the difference in the world! I could throw the TV into a hard serve and the trailer would immediately go back to center, to easily make a second evasive move if necessary.  It works by applying the brakes only on one side or the other to counteract the moderate or harsh sway. They recommend still using the sway bar for light sway.  They work well together.

I spoke with technical support for some time with pictures for us to figure it out on a Camplite because it must mount on the center line, but there is a 3" square support beam there. We decided on the battery tool box because of the stout angle iron bracket on the bottom, but also I had to add one to the top for stiffness and no flex.  This worked well.  He also commented they are getting lots of request for these on very lightweight aluminum and fiberglass campers that are misbehaving.

The other good news is this test with our full load in the back box but about 45 pounds lighter.  I had a full water tank with the new braces and a 33 pound iron Olympic weight front center under the bed and configured as loaded for the trip. I only put it on the ball with safety chains, no sway control bar only for this test, or no load distribution (which we don't need or use) for testing and with the rebalance it had no sway, properly loaded with all that extra weight up front. then I purposefully tried made it sway, and I could not. I could see the little light signaling that it was controlling it. It is amazing how fast the trailer lines up behind the TV. Finally under control and very satisfied!

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  John 10:10

GoElectric

Been a while, hope all of you fellow Campliters are doing well! New update with the Tuson with over 10K miles of use:

Highly recommended for anyone experiencing sway. On our 8400 mile round trip to Glacier , Banff, Vancouver Island, and points in between, then another trip to the Smokies, then Florida, we experienced no sway.  On our way to Glacier in a Kansas campground, I forgot to connect the Sway Bar and we lost it. Several miles up the road, we did notice just a little slight wiggle with gusty winds and passing 18 wheelers. I pulled over to tighten the sway bar and realized it was missing.  Tuson highly recommends a friction sway bar or other sway control for normal minor sway.  We were very pleased with the towing results after realizing it was missing. We called ahead to Omaha and we locate only two in the whole city. We stopped at one and purchased a Reese identical to ours.  We called back to the Kansas campground, and they found ours near the entrance and mailed it home. Very nice people!

Tuson shines for moderate to dangerous sways. When this occurs, the trailer immediately corrects straight behind the tow vehicle. No side to side at all.  We are going to be visiting the Blue Ridge Parkway then out West to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, the National Parks in Utah for our next few trips. Glacier , Banff, and Vancouver Island were wonderful.  Getting Reservations are still a nightmare!

We are going to need some new tires soon.  Thinking about moving to the Maxxis M8008 185/80R13's from the current Maxxis M8008 175/80R13's for an approximate 9/16" height difference for a little slower rotation and wear.  Has anyone done this, and does it make much of a difference?

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  John 10:10

Merlin

Good report on sway!

I have moved to the Maxxis 8008+ in 185/80R13.  Excellent tire all around and I recommend that size. At the same time I added a wireless TireMinder TPMS and have been really happy with that.
Michigan

GoElectric

Merlin, thanks for the reply.  We also have been much more diligent with weight distribution on these much longer trips when we are carrying a moderate percentage more weight.  We had our tongue weighed and try to stay around 15% or so on the hitch and initially weighted everything in the rear tool box and redistributed as needed. We were about 18% with full fresh water, so we backed that off a little. Lighter inside items stay in the shower while in route. That perfect teeter totter with 15% forward is a little more challenging with the rear deck.

Also, a friend of mine with his Camplite 14DB double axle, just notified me he is running the 185s.  Do you or anybody else reading, have a good source for online purchase?  I have been using Discount Tire Direct, but they are higher than others on line now and when I ordered a spare it was 3 years old (new) because they claim they no longer have access to date codes. The wireless TireMinder TPMS sounds like a great addition I will check into. Thanks.

Merlin

I order all my tires from the Tire Rack. I've never had an old tire from them. They are owned by Discount Tire, but do a much better job of on line sales. I just take the tires to my local Discount Tire for mounting. And, trailer tires should be balanced. Be sure to ask because they don't do that automatically.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=48840&width=185/&ratio=80&diameter=13&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL
Michigan