Camper Took a Hit

Started by Merlin, October 08, 2017, 02:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Our camper took a hit last night in a storm that brought high straight line winds. A large branch broke off high in a maple tree and landed partly on the camper, but thankfully mostly on the ground. Where we park, we thought the camper was safe from trees, but the branch was carried by the strong wind for quite a ways after it broke off. The roof, things on the roof, the sides and windows all survived without any problem. Whew! Neighbors close by lost whole trees to the storm, so it was quite blast.

Michigan

Paul

That seem like a big storm! Glad your camper is ok!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

gbpack

Wow. That's a shame. Glad it wasn't worse. What do you have to fix or replace?

Pinstriper

Wow, close call. So....how's the mattress holding up, these days ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Merlin

Quote from: gbpack on October 09, 2017, 12:40:10 AM

Nothing to fix or replace! These things are tough. The branches that did hit were too small to damage the aluminum. I had closed the windows pre-storm and that probably saved them (we leave a couple open for ventilation this time of year).

And to Pinstriper......the "mattresses" are fine.  ;D
Michigan

Pinstriper

Dammit ! Are you sure ? Don't they start to feel lumpy after the first ten hours ?

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

Merlin

Quote from: Pinstriper on October 09, 2017, 07:52:51 PM
Dammit ! Are you sure ? Don't they start to feel lumpy after the first ten hours ?

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

Hmmm......come to think of it, I am about to order new mattresses for the cots at our cabin. I'll ship you the old foam mattresses for minimal cost. They are pretty squished, full of beach sand (but freshwater beach sand) and the bug dope (deep woods off) and sun screen smell completely covers up the mildew smell. Even at that, they are better than the original mattresses that came with our LL. I'll let you know when they are available.
Michigan

djsamuel

Quote from: Merlin on October 09, 2017, 10:04:03 AM
Quote from: gbpack on October 09, 2017, 12:40:10 AM

Nothing to fix or replace! These things are tough. The branches that did hit were too small to damage the aluminum. I had closed the windows pre-storm and that probably saved them (we leave a couple open for ventilation this time of year).

And to Pinstriper......the "mattresses" are fine.  ;D

These are really tough campers. My 21BHS was parked in my driveway hooked to my truck during Irma. Tons of rain and 100mph gusts and the camper was perfect. Just had a lot of debris to scrape off of the outside. No leaks at all.

gbpack

djsamuel- glad that everything was OK. Yes, they are tough campers but I'm surprised that a 100mph gust didn't flip both your truck and the camper!

djsamuel

Quote from: gbpack on October 11, 2017, 01:04:19 AM
djsamuel- glad that everything was OK. Yes, they are tough campers but I'm surprised that a 100mph gust didn't flip both your truck and the camper!

I was pleased.  We have woods on both sides of us and I parked the camper and truck alongside the house; but far enough away so if it did flip,  the camper wouldn't hit the house.  In addition, I filled the fresh water tank and also put all the stabilizers down.