Adding Solar to 21RBS

Started by nhlakes, October 16, 2020, 05:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhlakes

Installed today.  The Renogy is much more flexible than the HQST.  This is my 'driveway' install. Panel HD velcroed to roof and controller velcroed to battery box.
I'll leave it like this in the driveway. Then store it while traveling and use it where needed at site.

nhlakes

FWIW, here is a pic of the HQST panel mentioned in an earlier post that I am returning.  Would not recommend.

DavidM

Nice, clean and neat installation.

Yes that HQST panel is a POS.

David

Merlin

Looks good. Your batteries will have a happy life  8)
Michigan

tt2retire

Anyone give some thought to installing the charge controller, inverter, bus bars, circuit breakers in the mostly empty area in front of the pass through storage compartment?

I've got the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100-Volt 30 Charge Controller an BMV 700 with Bluetooth dongle.

Currently, I use my acopower 120W portable folding panels with 50 ft of cable and the charge controller temporarily stuffed between my 2 6v gc batteries on the tongue in a plastic bag. In the future, I'll add at least 200W of flexible panels on the roof of my 2015 21BHS which should be similar to the 21RBS in terms of the front pass through storage.

(Update: I rotated picture 90 degrees clockwise)

tt2retire

Another picture

Merlin

That's potentially a good location, as long as it doesn't get too hot. I've often wondered why LL didn't make some use of that space. Remove the Azdel and fill it up!
Michigan

nhlakes

The second picture looks like the interior of the pass through storage.  Where exactly is that first picture??  Can't get my bearings on that one.

tt2retire

If you rotate the picture 90 degrees clockwise (sorry), it's the view from behind the pass through storage light on the front door side of the trailer.

nhlakes

Quote from: tt2retire on November 02, 2020, 08:37:41 PM
If you rotate the picture 90 degrees clockwise (sorry), it's the view from behind the pass through storage light on the front door side of the trailer.

got it - thanks

Cajun

I use Renogy exclusively on my 16DBS. I have 2 of the 160W flexible panels, Renogy 40Amp/100V solar controller, 2000W Rengoy inverter and 2x 170AH Rengoy Li batteries. I'm going to add 2 more of the 160Amp panels this year coming to the roof of the camper. I would like 6 panels, that's the goal. Have to add, Rengoy support is pretty good.

Had the system a few years now with 0 issues. The flexible panels are very light and easy to deal with, I think Rengoy makes 180Amp flexible panel now. I boondock mostly and never need a gen. I just got back from 2 weeks in Utah and boondocked the whole time and never needed to plugin to shore power to charge the batteries. With 2 panels I have to watch my power usage but I still run my laptop, camera gear, phone, drone batteries, TV, microwave, lights etc. Setting up solar was the best thing I've done and would not camp without it. In fact it's the main reason I purchased my RV.

Merlin

Quote from: Cajun on November 10, 2020, 10:37:09 AM
I use Renogy exclusively on my 16DBS. I have 2 of the 160W flexible panels, Renogy 40Amp/100V solar controller, 2000W Rengoy inverter and 2x 170AH Rengoy Li batteries. I'm going to add 2 more of the 160Amp panels this year coming to the roof of the camper. I would like 6 panels, that's the goal. Have to add, Rengoy support is pretty good.

Had the system a few years now with 0 issues. The flexible panels are very light and easy to deal with, I think Rengoy makes 180Amp flexible panel now. I boondock mostly and never need a gen. I just got back from 2 weeks in Utah and boondocked the whole time and never needed to plugin to shore power to charge the batteries. With 2 panels I have to watch my power usage but I still run my laptop, camera gear, phone, drone batteries, TV, microwave, lights etc. Setting up solar was the best thing I've done and would not camp without it. In fact it's the main reason I purchased my RV.

Nice set up. Good to hear about Renogy support. I look forward to reading about your additional solar stuff.
Michigan

Cajun

My 160W Renogy panels are flexible to some degree. You can bend them but they can break if not careful. I think Renogy makes an 180W flexible panel also.

nhlakes

The flexible panel is working out great, but I have decided I'm going to add a 100wt tiltable panel to the roof.  I'll be able to leave it tilted toward the south in the driveway and will not have to wonder about it being covered with snow/ice.  I'll still have the flexible panel to move about when I'm really trying to charge while camping.

Any suggestions on securing the panel mounts to the roof and/or running the wire? I may leave the wire running on the outside for now and deal with that in the spring.

Here are the small tilt mounts I'll use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CSKFWK7

Note that the mounts are listed for smaller than 100wt panels but appears many people apparently use these for the 100wt panel
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocrystalline-Solar-Compact-Design/dp/B07GF5JY35

Merlin

Since you have the aluminum roof, I would think (but don't know) that it's fine to use the same attachment as everything else on the roof.......SS self tapping screws of appropriate size with #2 square drive heads. The A/C is secured with clamp-bolts, but all the other stuff is screwed.

On the wire ingress, perhaps something like this would be a permanent solution if installed in a puddle of self-leveling caulk. I assume the charge controller will be inside the camper; hence the need to run the wire inside.

https://www.amazon.com/Link-Solar-Weatherproof-Project-Campervan/dp/B0111RNZDY
Michigan