Livin'Lite closing down

Started by ADR, February 01, 2018, 09:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinstriper

MitchB

I reached out to the folks at Intech RV to see if they had any firm plans for Camp-lite style campers now that Scott Tuttle was onboard.  At the moment they do not, their focus is on the micro-lite segment.  That being said I was told they did actually build a camp-lite type camper prototype.  I'm going to keep an eye on them as their all aluminum philosophy is more and more difficult to find and maybe down the road a bit, who knows.
At any rate they were very friendly and responded to my questions pretty much immediately.
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

Steve Sanders

If there is an adequate market demand, someone will provide a supply to meet the demand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Capt J-rod

I agree with one exception, price. If aluminum continues to rise in cost, and skilled labor stays in high demand, a camplite is a very expensive proposition. Profits have to be made and prices will reflect it. Oliver and other high end fiberglass trailers will have an easier time thanks to materials. Camplite 21' trailers were around $30k new. Airstreams were closer to $65k in the same size.  Jayco and Starcraft were closer to $16k. I'm all for quality, but there comes a point where the price will exceed the benefits. The stick built units are built in this video... No way in hell I'd ever buy another one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMJrRQ3SVk

MitchB

If Airstream can get 65K it seems that an equivalent size Camp-lite should be able to get 30k to 40k unless there is no market segment for all aluminum campers that cost 20K less than an Airstream.  The 16k Jayco or Starcraft isn't in the same target market.

DavidM

Quote from: MitchB on February 07, 2018, 05:59:34 PM
If Airstream can get 65K it seems that an equivalent size Camp-lite should be able to get 30k to 40k unless there is no market segment for all aluminum campers that cost 20K less than an Airstream.  The 16k Jayco or Starcraft isn't in the same target market.

I would have liked an Airstream but it was too heavy (steel frame, etc.) and had beautiful but limited interior (no slideout) and was too expensive. The Camplite gave me both lightness and utility at half the price.

I agree there should be a market for those qualities that are rapidly leaving the Camplite brand.

David

FastEddieB

I wonder who's going to be the first to drop an Airstream body on a Camplite frame/floor???

Capt J-rod

Quote from: FastEddieB on February 07, 2018, 06:43:49 PM
I wonder who's going to be the first to drop an Airstream body on a Camplite frame/floor???

THIS is why I thought Thor bought Livinlite. They have some serious weakness in Airstream's design with the steel and plywood. I assumed that there was going to be an amazing marriage where Airstream fixed their issues and Camplite got a little more refined inside. WRONG!!!!

charliem

Quote from: Capt J-rod on February 07, 2018, 07:51:47 PM
Quote from: FastEddieB on February 07, 2018, 06:43:49 PM

THIS is why I thought Thor bought Livinlite. They have some serious weakness in Airstream's design with the steel and plywood. I assumed that there was going to be an amazing marriage where Airstream fixed their issues and Camplite got a little more refined inside. WRONG!!!!

That's funny. I had the exact same thought when the Thor/Camplite acquisition was announced. I thought (hoped) Thor was buying Camplite technology to enhance their Airstream line. Boy, were we all wrong. Never underestimate the destructive power of the bean counters.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

djmiller

I guess I can finally comment now.

Livinlite products were never built nor engineered like a standard RV.  Many of our original employees put their heart and soul into the product.
Our welders were certified, we mig and tig welded our all aluminum frames and quality was everyone's responsibility.
Our employees were proud of what we built and truly worked together. Didn't matter who you were, if you had a better idea it was documented and brought up in our weekly production meeting. We would discuss it with all parties and if it made sense we wrote a PCN and got it done.

We engineered the complete package.  I could take a print pack that might consist of 60 - 80 cad drawings mostly done in 3D and compile a complete list of materials.  The factory built the product from the drawings and if something didn't fit or work they was it was supposed to, the print was marked up and submitted back to engineering for revision.

We had a true open-door policy that went all the way to the top (Scott Tuttle).  Above all we all knew our customer base what they wanted and strived to give it to them.
We strived to keep the cost down but never at the cost of quality.  If it was going to cost too much to do it right we just wouldn't do it at all.
We educated the consumer through or marketing materials and the website. The website was kept up to date with current spec and models.
We educated our dealer body through a web portal that helped educate our dealers on how to sell our products.

Giving credit where it is due.... none of this could happen without the friendship and leadership of Scott Tuttle.  We all truly worked together.

Dan Miller

MitchB

That was the camper I got back in 2013, that's why I bought it.  Thanks Dan.

Steve Sanders

@djmiller, Thanks to you and the team that built our campers!

We have a very early (June 2009) 6.0 that we ordered through Scott and picked up at the factory a few hours after it was finished. It's been used many times, but always stored inside, so it still looks new.

We also have a 2012 8.1 that we bought as a restoration project last summer. It must have been an early model also because the VIN label says it's an 8.0. The interior of the 8.1 had been very wet for a long time when we got it. Almost everything that could be water damaged was destroyed, but you can't tell it now!

Livin' Lite built a great product that we have enjoyed for years and will continue to for many more!

When we bought the 8.1, we figured it would replace the 6.0. Now I'm not sure I want to let either of them go. But we don't need two...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ADR

Very glad to see Dan back!   A national treasure for sure to Livin'Lite owners.
Sent you a PM Dan, hope you can take a min to give me some advice.
Thank you in advance!

djsamuel

Thanks Dan!  Our 2013 21BHS will continue to be used for many years to come.  It is a great trailer and a testament to all you and the others at Livin Lite accomplished.  And thanks to you yourself for providing great feedback to the customers.  When I see the side bolts through the coupler I'll think of you! :)

Best of luck and hope to see you on here in the future.

Doug