16TBS sink upgrade

Started by dlb53151, July 29, 2018, 03:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlb53151

My 16TBS plastic kitchen sink is in need of stainless steel upgrade.  Any suggestions on make and model of SS sink to upgrade to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Merlin

I hope @tinkeringtechie weighs in here. He installed a SS sink in his 21 that will also fit in the 16. I plan to do this someday too.
Michigan

charliem

Several forum members replaced their small plastic sinks with SS. The MS Word attachment describes my mod. Tinkeringtechie used a slightly smaller sink and Gleamb used a larger one. Another owner did replace one in a 16 but I don't recall who. The attachment includes links to the components I used. Let me know if you cannot read the attachment and I'll repost the entire writeup.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

john

when I changed my formica top with granite I installed a 15" x15" standard bar sink with a gooseneck style faucet. The sink is smaller in size but a lot deeper. Also with the smaller sink you gain a lot more counter room on the back side of the of the sink which I really like. I am happy with it. I posted a picture of it when I did my granite

john

it's under camplite modifications titled new granite

GrampaKilt

Like John, I went with a deeper sink, perhaps a little excessive at 8", and a slightly smaller bowl (11x13) than OEM. Going undermount will provide a few more square inches of counter space. Will post pic when the counter upgrade is complete.

In general, if it's possible with your mod, I would advise trying for a deeper sink with no attached ledge for faucet, which means investing in a single hole deck faucet. There are many SS bar sink offerings on Amazon...Best wishes. GK

GrampaKilt

dlb5315's request is much more difficult than I expected. Per his PM, he wants to replace the OEM plastic sink with outer dimensions of 12.5" wide x 17" back to front (b/f). There are hundreds of 15"x15" top mount bar sink offerings but nothing in the 18" b/f range. There seems to some in the 20 b/f inchers, but then the width gets too wide. I suspect 15" b/f just won't cover the existing cut out hole.

Comments? GK

GrampaKilt

dlb53151, take a look at this sink.

It's from Moen--Model:KG2045522BQ 2000 Series 16-5/8 X 17-5/16 Stainless Steel 20 Gauge Single Bowl Drop In Sink.

You will need to contend with 2 idiosyncrasies, a 2" drain opening for which fittings are quite common, and a 2 hole faucet mount in which fit most bar sink faucets. Alternatively, you could install a single hole kitchen faucet plus a soap dispenser or insert a cap in the remaining hole.

While you are at it, consider installing a HepvO waterless drain trap. It really opens up the space under the sink. One of these beauties is already under your shower. Best wishes. GK

dlb53151

Grampa  - Thanks for info.  This size would work but I do have a three hole setup currently.  Is it difficult to convert to a single faucet and cap one hole?  The only issue then is that the faucet will be off center.  Do you know if it comes in a 3 hole version?

I still like the better idea of countertop upgrade and going with an under-mount sink but will need to find a handyman to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrampaKilt

Hi dlb53151. A couple of comments.

1. No 3 hole version.
2. An off center single lever faucet could be considered avant-garde especially if it was balanced off by a soap dispenser in the other hole 8).
3. IMO, no problem cutting 3 holes in the ledge for your old faucet. It can be done with a dremel tool and metal cutting disk. No need for round holes, just make them square. Sharp edges can be touched up with a file. Tip--masking tape your ledge, draw where your holes will go and cut through the tape. The disks break easily, have about 6 more on hand for this job.

I should clarify, for a good seal, undermount sinks require a solid surface countertop, like quartz or corian. I've seen it done DIY with plastic laminate over a plywood substrate and waterproof glues but it certainly is not my style...

Regards, GK

Fatdog2

I put in Franke sink, ordered it from Lowes. Had to do some pipe fitting replacement and cut and reinstall the Pex water connections. Got a crimp tool from Lowes and crimp fittings. You can find cheaper priced crimp tools on Amazon I think. I used a down stroke laminating jig saw blade to cut the Formica, and just cut slowly. I also had to re-glue the Formica because it had popped loose from heat. Just tape off the foam so you don't get glue on foam as it will melt it.

Here's the info on Franke bar sink. I found the price had really gone up even on Lowes website, $250.00, which seems like a lot. I looked at Lowe's today and they didn't have it on display anymore and I seem to remember it was a special order sink. Franke Bar sink Onyx Granite 748629 SOX1720-1 the price was 152.10 back in May 2017.

tinkeringtechie

Here's the one I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UNOQ3E/

And a couple pictures of the install:

We still absolutely love it. Having the soap and water filter integrated is very handy too.

GrampaKilt

Gotta love this forum! Tinkeringtechie's Elkay PSR15173 sink find ticks all the boxes for replacing the OEM toy sink. Thumbs up for water filter and soap dispenser idea. GK

dlb53151

Thanks TT!!!  Exactly what I was like looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfsup1955

Thanks (x2) to TT, exactly the info I needed. Love this forum..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk