Trailer tire review site

Started by Fatdog2, July 24, 2018, 12:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatdog2

I've been researching new tires for 21BHS which has original Vail Sport ST205/75D14, C load range. With life span of trailer tires being about 5 years.  I want to ensure I purchase a quality tire to reduce the chance of blow out and damage to trailer. So far other posts have recommended Goodyear,  Maxxis, Westlake. Goodyear has a new Endurance ST tire 14" radial, D load rating, speed rating of N=87mph, which replaces the Marathon tire.

Some of the reviews state that smaller size tires from different MFR have a reported higher failure rate, with blow outs, and tread separation. It's makes one ponder what's a good tire and the best tires for highway speeds. I usually tow at 65mph, sometimes 70mph, bias ply tires from what I read are rated for max speed of 65mph.  It's a lot of info and reviews to ponder in finding a quality tire.

Feel free to move this post or combine this with any other tire question posts. 

Speed rating in mph, J-62, K-68, L-75, M-81, N-87

Here's a site that covers the majority of trailer tire company reviews.  https://tirereviewsandmore.com/trailer-tire-reviews/

Merlin

This is a great time to use the search function of the forum. There are lots of recent threads on tires and members have weighed in many times on favorites, along with good and bad experiences. Using the search button at the top of the forum, type in tires, and you'll get mucho good reading. Thanks for posting the review link!
Michigan

Fatdog2

Merlin, Your welcome. I looked at a few post, but forgot about doing a search on forum, so I did a search and it's under Archive Forum that you get the most hits on tires.  Lots of hits, thanks for the reminder. 

Some of the tire shops I have called seem to push there brand of cheaper priced ST tires, maybe because they have them in stock or at local warehouse distributor. This is my first trailer tire purchase and the thought of getting poorly made tires and having a blow out on the road would ruin ones day. I keep a close eye on tire pressure, wear patterns, and with age of the tire it's time to replace them.   

djsamuel

Seems like the best tires are the new Goodyear Endurance tires, the Maxxis tires and the Carlisle Radial Trail HD.  I have the Carlisle Radial Trail and they are really good.  No issues whatsoever, a high speed rating (84 MPH I believe) and it tows great.  The Goodyear Endurance tires are really tempting though.  The next time I need tires I may go that way.  They weren't available when I bought my Carlisles, but may now.  I do like that they are made in the US.

Fatdog2

After shopping around and reading reviews, I purchased 5 Goodyear Endurance tires. They are some nice looking tires and the tire guy that mounted them said they have a strong side wall compared to Vail Sport bias ply. I haven't taken the camper out yet, will report after our next trip. For the military members the Navy Exchange Auto stores only sell Goodyear Endurance tires. I purchased silver colored tire covers off of amazon.

After taking off the Vail Sport tire, I found one tire had a bald spot, which I checked the tires in the past but missed this and or it wore down on our last trip which we logged some mile on that one.  The inside of the tire looked okay, I didn't  see any type of damage. Pretty crazy and I know the brakes haven't locked up so that rules out a skid patch type damage. I got lucky it didn't blow out on the road.

Merlin

I'll bet you'll be amazed at the difference in towing, with so much better (and radial) tires. What is the speed rating on that size of the GY Endurance?
Michigan

Fatdog2

Merlin, an online description and one of the tire stores told me the GY Endurance in 205/75R14 has a speed rating of N-87mph, 8 ply tire, with a load rating of D,  Max load 65psi air pressure. It's a step up from C load rating on Vail Sport that's for sure. I think it's well worth the investment and not worrying about a blow out and possible damage to the camper. The tires I got were all made 15week of 2018, pretty fresh set of tires.