Camplite 17-19 21BHS, 21RBS, 23RKS and 23RLS Recall for failed drawbars.

Started by ADR, October 26, 2018, 01:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADR

Yikes!

Safety Issue Type: Recalls
September 19 2018 NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V643000
Drawbar may Crack and Trailer may Separate
If the trailer separates from the tow vehicle, it can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number 18V643000
Manufacturer Livin' Lite Recreational Vehicles
Components STRUCTURE
Potential Number of Units Affected 154
Summary
Livin' Lite Recreational Vehicles (Livin' Lite) is recalling certain 2017-2019 Livin' Lite CampLite
travel trailers, models 21BHS, 21RBS, 23RKS and 23RLS. The drawbar of the trailer may crack
resulting in the trailer separating from the tow vehicle.

see attached PDF for more info.

Merlin

Michigan

Paul

i have a 2018 21BHS I wonder if it means mine is included in that recall? I guess I'll have to wait for the letter
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

ADR

There is another doc that is linked in the PDF about the recall-

It reads >

"The frame design of the trailer changed. Trailers built prior to the recall population do
not exhibit any of the issues associated with the recalled trailers. All redesigned
trailers are included in the recall population.
Production Dates : SEP 28, 2017 - JUL 09, 2018
VIN Range 1 : Begin : 56DTW2126J1050793 End : 56DTW2129J1011485"

It appears ALL 21's and 23's built between the above dates and vins have the issue.

In that document it states structural analysis was done and indicated a weakness>

"Chronology :
8/24/18 - Reports of units with cracks in the welds around the drawbar were received by Livin Lite.
8/27/18 - Structural analysis of the frame begins.
9/12/18 - Results of the analysis showed a weak area of the drawbar.
9/12/18 - Safety committee meeting was called where the consensus is to issue a recall."

Hard to understand why a company as large as Thor would not do a structural analysis on something so critical before they made a change and put it into production.

Could be interesting as I suspect very few RV dealers have the ability to weld AL properly in this rework.

Other doc linked below.

JazzyPigsGA

Good clarification-dodged that since our production date was 3/2017. Timing was ok since Trailer is still waiting on parts from the accident sigh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apollo

Quote from: ADR on October 28, 2018, 07:30:24 AM

Hard to understand why a company as large as Thor would not do a structural analysis on something so critical before they made a change and put it into production.

Because thor does not care about proper engineering or anything important like that, they care 100% about reducing costs and increasing shareholder value.

I bet heads rolled in the corporate offices that they had to shell out for the testing and have to fix the trailers, someone's bonus is really going to be affected by this.

ADR

Yep and this will cost them more than just doing it right in the first place.....

A letter to an owner has surfaced and it also says they will move the spare from the tongue to the back bumper.   Hmmm...wonder what they'll do if people already modified the back like I did- added an aluminum shelf made from a loading ramp- to carry my pair of Honda generators.

About 15 years ago I bought a car trailer rated for 7700lbs gross.   Got to looking at it and noticed the coupler was stamped 5000lbs gross max.
Called the manufacturer and they said "oh don't be silly it will be fine".
Told them I'd get the NTSB's opinion on that...all of a sudden they had a guy heading my way with a new coupler and all the mobile equipment to cut it off and weld on the new one :P
Turned out every one of the trailers at the dealer I bought from had the same issue. 

Paul

Quote from: ADR on October 28, 2018, 07:30:24 AM
There is another doc that is linked in the PDF about the recall-

It reads >

"The frame design of the trailer changed. Trailers built prior to the recall population do
not exhibit any of the issues associated with the recalled trailers. All redesigned
trailers are included in the recall population.
Production Dates : SEP 28, 2017 - JUL 09, 2018
VIN Range 1 : Begin : 56DTW2126J1050793 End : 56DTW2129J1011485"

It appears ALL 21's and 23's built between the above dates and vins have the issue.

In that document it states structural analysis was done and indicated a weakness>

"Chronology :
8/24/18 - Reports of units with cracks in the welds around the drawbar were received by Livin Lite.
8/27/18 - Structural analysis of the frame begins.
9/12/18 - Results of the analysis showed a weak area of the drawbar.
9/12/18 - Safety committee meeting was called where the consensus is to issue a recall."

Could be interesting as I suspect very few RV dealers have the ability to weld AL properly in this rework.

Other doc linked below.

My VIN is 56DTW2121J1101276   I think I am OK doesn't seem to be in the range your mentioned. But at the same time I am not sure since my trailer built date is within the range of SEP 28, 2017 - JUL 09, 2018   it was built in Oct 2017
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

ADR

Letters are showing up at owners now-  if you get one I guess you are in the bad range- if you don't- I'd call and confirm.

Merlin

Paul, Your "build date" may not be the same as a "production date". You also noted in other threads that your camper has the "old" style tank arrangement with both the shower and sink going into the gray tank. Right after yours was built LL went to the "new" style with only the kitchen sink going to gray and those campers may have included tongue design/build changes. For sure confirm with LL, but yours could be ok since the VIN seems ok?
Michigan

Paul

Quote from: Merlin on October 31, 2018, 05:46:00 PM
Paul, Your "build date" may not be the same as a "production date". You also noted in other threads that your camper has the "old" style tank arrangement with both the shower and sink going into the gray tank. Right after yours was built LL went to the "new" style with only the kitchen sink going to gray and those campers may have included tongue design/build changes. For sure confirm with LL, but yours could be ok since the VIN seems ok?

I'll wait for a letter and if I don't get one I'll call would be nice if mine is ok.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

ADR

With all the talk of cracked/failed welds I carefully inspected my 2018 16TBS today-
Found a crack at the junction of the "drawbar" and the frame :(
I marked it with a sharpie and will watch it for awhile to see if it grows.

Well that's odd- the site flipped the picture upside down....

Edit by Paul: I rotated the picture

Merlin

Ack! That doesn't look good, whether or not it gets worse. Stress fracture in a high stress spot. Yuck. When Powder Hounds had their weld disaster last year I carefully inspected my camper. I guess I better do it again, paying special attention to the tongue/drawbar area.
Michigan

Powder Hounds

Oh boy.... I feel the pain my fellow owners are going through. IMO, the dealers are not equipped to handle this situation. My dealer essentially washed their hands of this issue. LL had to transport my rig on a truck back to the plant for inspection. My field repairs must have met their standards as they did some minor rework but not much though. They almost sizzled some electrical wires but they did do what they committed to.

Good luck everybody!

The good news... just booked two months in an RV park near our local ski hill.

Paul

I got a little surprise by mail today! I will contact my dealer tomorrow but my Camplite is in storage right now. My dealer is 1000km from where I live so they'll have to find someone local!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS