Rubber interlocking tiles under mattress?

Started by catmanriff, February 11, 2017, 12:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmanriff

I thought about those rubber floor mat tiles under the mattress on our qs10. I wish I could find a solid sheet of it however.

You can feel the cold coming up through the aluminum and it might have just that bit of extra firm squish for a hip or elbow

A nice piece of carpet might work too.

We bought a dual layer memory foam & gel 5" mattress that's pretty good. So the plan is to buy a 2 or 3" foam topper for the other bed.then we'll double up. But, we like to put stuff on the unused bed. So the foam or carpet idea.

Thoughts?

FastEddieB

Quote from: pjcd on February 11, 2017, 04:06:32 PM
What about that stuff that Home Depot sells,,,,,,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stalwart-Ultimate-Comfort-24-in-x-24-in-Black-Foam-Garage-Flooring-4-Pack-75-6402/205062641

you can cut it to size.

Similar tiles are about half that price at Harbor Freight.

What we used on the floor of our 21BHS. I suppose they would add a tiny bit of cushioning under a mattress.

catmanriff

I looked at the Home Depot stuff yesterday. It's $18 for four 2x2 tiles. We have a 60" X 80" bed.

The other thing is whether to build it every time or keep it in place whilst flipping the beds during the close up stage? I'd want it to stay one piece. The other thing is the edges would all have to be trimmed to hit the dimensions. I suppose the mattress would keep it in place

TLBones

I'm wondering if reflectix would be effective for that purpose.   It's very thin and there's no way you could pop the bubbles under the mattress your weight would be distributued.    I know Home Depot/Lowes sells it in 4ft wide rolls.   I think the rolls are 25 ft.?   You'd be able to double or triple it up.

catmanriff

I think the Reflectix would work for the insulation. Not sure it would add the cushion. And, at least in our scenario, we need a reasonably hearty surface for shoes, luggage, etc when we take the mattress over to bolster the other side.

Powder Hounds

In our 21 RBS we first installed the reflective double bubble foil under our custom mattress, during colder tempatures moisture was starting to accumulate on the top and under the foil causing a bit of mould to develop under the mastress. After we discouverd the mould we dried everthing, treated and cleaned the surfaces then added a sheet of 3/4" rigid foam insulation over the foil. Now we no issues at all.