Tongue Weight

Started by Merlin, March 05, 2017, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojospeople

Please report back with his reply!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Merlin

We have the original lighter duty 2" ball coupler with the 700 lb max tongue weight on our 16TBS. So I added the grade 8 side bolts as soon as I saw the bending on Charlie's coupler last year. I can see why LL changed to the heavier coupler on the newer single axle 16TBS, with the tongue weight that mojospeople is reporting.
Michigan

PYG RYDR

Thanks everyone.  I found Charlie's original coupler fix in the archives.  https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=210.msg1194#msg1194

Looks relatively easy to complete.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want;
and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith

gbpack

Whether you have a 16 footer or 21 footer, it makes a lot of sense to have the side bolts installed. Doesn't take much effort and it doesn't hurt anything. It's an extra measure of precaution regardless of which coupler you have. Here is a pic of ours after installing the side bolts on our 21BHS (which came with the heavier coupler). It's a much more solid set-up now!

ADR

Just weighed my 2018 TBS16 tongue weight.   489 lbs with 2 full 20lb size propane tanks and a single group 24 battery.   Nothing at all on board, no water, no stuff.
Can't wait to see what the tongue weighs loaded up ready to go.   I will be swapping the group 24 battery for 2 group 31 AGM batteries I have.
That alone will likely add 75 lbs to the tongue weight.

dlb53151

Has anyone purchased a tongue scale or product like the Curt Better Weigh OBD2 device?  Looking for any advice since I have no clue what my 16TBS tongue weight is on any given trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidM

Do you have a single or tandem axle 16TBS? The tandem has relatively low tongue weight. Ours has about 250 lbs loaded. The single has a relatively high tongue weight, almost 400 lbs.

If it is a one time weighing, pad your bathroom scale with a couple of boards to spread out the load and use it.

David

dlb53151

Our unit is a tandem axle.  I want to make sure we have enough tongue weight (10%.)

The Curt Better Weigh product seems interesting since it provides weight of tongue and trailer. 

DavidM

Our is a tandem axle and loaded I bet it weighs 3,500 lbs or more. The front pass through is pretty full: chairs, portable grill, hoses, axe, even a couple of arm loads of wood. But the tongue weight is only about 250 lbs.

Getting it any higher would be tough as there isn't enough front storage room to add weight inside. I just have a single Group 27 battery that came with the trailer and changing that to two golf car batteries would probably add 50+ lbs, adding a second LPG tank (which I surely don't need) would add some more and maybe get me to 10%.

But it tows nicely with just 250 lbs of tongue weight so I am not worried. Would be if it was squirrely.

David

Pinstriper

I have found our 14DBS tandem axle likes about half a tank of fresh water to tow its best. Empty it is a touch bouncy. Not alarmingly so, but you can tell its there. Add a little water and you can forget you are towing.

Merlin

Quote from: dlb53151 on June 27, 2020, 12:19:36 AM
Has anyone purchased a tongue scale or product like the Curt Better Weigh OBD2 device?  Looking for any advice since I have no clue what my 16TBS tongue weight is on any given trip.

For $27 round trip, I'd be happy to loan you my tongue weight scale. It fits in a medium size USPS Priority Flat Rate box that ships anywhere U.S. for $13.75. Use it and return it when done. I've loaned it out many times. If interested, shoot me a private message and I'll have my people talk to your people to set something up. I checked it's accuracy and it's good. So far, everyone who has used it has been surprised by how heavy their trailer tongue is.
Michigan

GrampaKilt

Quote from: DavidM on June 27, 2020, 04:14:03 PM
Our is a tandem axle and loaded I bet it weighs 3,500 lbs or more. The front pass through is pretty full: chairs, portable grill, hoses, axe, even a couple of arm loads of wood. But the tongue weight is only about 250 lbs.

DavidM, this response is to take a little dig at Pinstriper and his TANSTATMTV wisdom. Your comment about the TW of the 14' CL tandem wheel version was one of the reasons it was the perfect TT for my VW Jetta TDI. Although I now have a Pinstriper-Approved TV, I miss towing with my Jetta (which by now has probably been melted down and made into a GMC). My GMC 1500 is no match for what we experienced towing with the Jetta-- smoother ride, effortless transmission control via the DSG transmission, the engine breaking capability of the TDI, solid 25-28 MPG over hill and dale and probably lower overall emissions due to using half the fuel. I never came across a braking situation that the properly adjusted trailer brakes and WD hitch didn't handle with aplomb.

On the other hand, with the GMC there's lots of room in the box for a side by side, or for just bringing along the kitchen sink because I can! Plus, I have to admit, the kayaks we now bring with us would have looked ridiculous on a Jetta roof.

Sad to hear others selling their CL's but understand nothing is forever. We still love our 2014 DB and with the immanent install of a Victron low voltage cutoff switch, the mods will finally come to an end. GK

Pinstriper

Your GMC is not "too much".

I can't say the same about your Jetta. I can't even say it was "enough".

I am glad you have "more TV", both for your sake as well as mine as someone who might be sharing the road with you.

dlb53151

Thanks for the offer Merlin.  I'll check into a manual bathroom scale as an option and keep it stored in one of my TT compartments. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinstriper

Most bathroom scales top out at 300# or so, which may not serve you well for taking tongue weight.

We are lucky to have highway scales which the state leaves open when not in use.

Mind, you would have to pull the trailer entirely onto the platform, including the tongue, and unhitch it to take the entire trailer weight. And pull the TV off, while leaving the trailer entirely off with just the jack on the scale to take the tongue weight.