Some important items

Started by djsamuel, December 21, 2016, 11:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

That pic above seems to show replacing the 5,000lb coupler with a heavier one. This is necessary for the 21' LLs because their GVWR is greater than 5,000 lbs.

The 16' LLs are rated at 5,000 lbs so the oem coupler is fine.

David

charliem

I agree with DavidM that the 5000# coupler with added side bolts is probably sufficient for the 16s. If you post a picture of the side of your existing coupler we can make a better assessment. The coupler TinkeringTechie used is different than your picture in that it has some holes already in position.
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

ADR

I like the Bulldog couplers- my 20' Featherlite has one.
I may switch my 2018 16TBS to one-  I could use a few more inches in the coupler socket to jack dimension-  the back doors of my Transit are an issue- I can open the passenger side just barely and not quite the driver side.   I had already drilled a new hole in the WD hitch shank to give me another 2" or so. 

BTW the cast part is only the actual coupler- the rest is stamped steel so drilling shouldn't be an issue.

dlb53151

Here is my existing coupler. The actual coupler I bought has the predrilled side holes like TT's. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliem

That looks like the original light weight coupler with no side bolts. As such you have the option of replacing the coupler or just adding side bolts. The first is obviously better but much harder. The second is probably adequate and much easier. Your call. If your new coupler has the additional holes and you follow @tinkeringtechie 's lead you should be OK. Definitely overkill but that's what us tech types do  ;) .
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

dlb53151

From a peace of mind standpoint it is worth the overkill when towing something on a highway that could break bad and cause mega damage or worse.  For $100 it seems worth the benefit.  That Bulldog coupler is a beast so I love the idea.  Not to mention the actual coupler mechanism of Bulldog versus OEM. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk