Keepng my Livin-lite cooler and sharp looking

Started by SWBF350, February 22, 2019, 08:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWBF350

It only took the 1st Summer campout to find out that my Bare Shinny Aluminum Roof was way too hot and the heat was felt inside the RV. I applied 3 coats of the "Kool-Seal White Reflective Roof Coatings" with a paint roller after each coating dried completely. I'm 240#'s and the Roof was fine with me standing on it. The Kool-seal has been a blessing, I can now place my bare hand on the ceiling and feel just a tad of warmth in a 100F degree day sitting out in the Sun/before I could not put my bare hand on the ceiling.
I have not had any Black marks on the outside painted RV sides but I have been using a different product for keeping the RV looking like new.
Cleans up real quick and No More Waxing.
I switched over to the "The Last Coat" a product that I use on my Truck, works excellent on the Livin-lite. Once applied all that is needed to keep it looking great is to rinse your Livin-lite off with a hose after it looks dirty, then wipe off the water(I use a shammy) shines up like brand new. I do retreat the RV 3 times a year with "The Last Coat" as it sits out in the weather all 12 months, as the Truck only gets it once every 6 months. You can use "The Last Coat" inside your TV and RV as well". Works on everything, chrome, glass, mirrors, vinyl, so overspray is not a issue when you apply it.
2015 Bearcat FK16 Toyhauler, Awning, Rear slide down Bug Screen, 9200btu a/c, Micro/convection oven, Fantastic Fan, 2 additional Power Fans, Front Power Jack, 24" LED TV, portable 150Watt solar panels, interstate 6v  Batteries, Dual Propane tanks.

nhlakes

Since installing a soft start in the AC up on the roof in the hot sun, I have been considering doing the same...  any down side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWBF350

None yet, It has been 3 1/2 years since I did the Roof with the Kool-seal, works excellent as the day I applied it.
2015 Bearcat FK16 Toyhauler, Awning, Rear slide down Bug Screen, 9200btu a/c, Micro/convection oven, Fantastic Fan, 2 additional Power Fans, Front Power Jack, 24" LED TV, portable 150Watt solar panels, interstate 6v  Batteries, Dual Propane tanks.

Merlin

Great idea! And I'll have to try that The Last Coat sometime.

Below is a copy of my post from the forum archives about painting my roof white a few years ago. It made a dramatic difference and I credit the paint with keeping my camper comfortable even in oven-like temperatures crossing the summer Great Plains. One advantage not mentioned in my original post is that of reducing heat gain while underway. The camper is cooler when arriving at a campsite when it has a bright white roof!

"I just used a quart of the Interlux Interdeck bright white anti-skid boat paint on the aluminum areas of my 16TBS roof. It is really high quality paint that took only 1 coat to cover well with a foam roller and I think it will last many years. A quart was just barely enough and I left a small corner bare for test measurements. Anyway, the camper is in the sun right now and with an ambient temperature of 77F, the white painted area of the roof is 102F and the bare aluminum area of the roof is 138F (as measured with my Nubee infared thermometer). I would say the 25% reduction in surface temperature was definitely worth $50 in paint and an hour for prep and painting.

An added bonus is that it has fine sand in it which makes the roof much safer to be on."

https://www.amazon.com/Interlux-Interdeck-Quart-INTYJB000Q--%C2%A0White/dp/B001HX9528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466182173&sr=8-1&keywords=interdeck
Michigan

Pinstriper

I would have though the bare aluminum would be cooler. Unless it isn't buffed near mirror, I guess. Buff that patch and report back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fatdog2

What type of prep work did you do to the aluminum roof before you painted? Wash with good detergent any other pre-paint wipe down, ie mineral spirits, paint thinner? thanks. Peter

Merlin

Quote from: Fatdog2 on April 17, 2019, 11:13:45 AM
What type of prep work did you do to the aluminum roof before you painted? Wash with good detergent any other pre-paint wipe down, ie mineral spirits, paint thinner? thanks. Peter

No solvents for sure! I don't know what that would do to the sealants up there.

I scrubbed it with Dawn detergent in water to remove dirt and grease, completely rinsed it, and dried it for a couple of days in the sun. No sanding or other surface prep. I did not paint over the sealants, just the bare aluminum. The Interlux boat paint I used is holding up extremely well. I'm glad I spent the money on really good paint.
Michigan

Fatdog2

My brothers has used Interlux marine paints and really likes the product says it's worth every penny. I was think just painting the aluminum up to the edge of the sealant. I just wasn't sure if the aluminum would need any more prep other that a good wash down. Some paint require a roughing up the surface and I rather not do any sanding on the aluminum roof. Thanks for the info...

nhlakes

I'm still really interested in painting the top white for temperature reduction. 

Has anyone noticed the paint causing additional streaking down the sides?  The reason I ask is that I have NEVER waxed ANY of my campers and hope to continue that trend.   I rely primarily on mother nature and only use a light power washer if/when it really needs it.   

One trip through a MN during a hatch of some bug left one of my campers a real mess once.  THAT required some real effort.  Other than that, somehow all of my campers have looked great with minimal effort.  I buy most new and they seem to stay fairly clean. 

I want my lucky streak to continue (no pun intended on streaks ;) ) . Would hate to paint it and have to deal with streaks down the side all the time.