Useless Mods (Seemed like a good idea at the time)...

Started by PEIslander, July 04, 2015, 07:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEIslander

I thought I'd start this thread for those mods that seemed like a good idea but then didn't work out so well. I'd imagine it has happened to most of us --- we think we have a practical solution that will useful but then find it really wasn't so practical after all. Please add your own dud mods -- together we can show others what not to do.  ;)

I'll start with my idea that having handles on the trailer tongue would be a good idea. I had seen those pull handles on T@B trailers and thought they looked like a good idea. Maybe my small but mighty Camplite 11FDB could use some handles too. I found some hefty solid aluminum handles at a marine supply store. Aluminum is good. They sold in pairs. That was good too. I bought some hefty stainless steel self tapping screws. The handles were mounted to the tongue at either side of the propane tank. I was pleased with how great they looked. I was "da man".

Fast forward (>>). It's two years later I think. Those handles are still there and still look good but when I look at them I no longer feel I am "da man".  :-\  The reason is the handles have shown themselves to be rather useless. They might work to budge the trailer if the trailer were parked in an aircraft hanger or showroom floor. Pull with all my might I can't use them to budge the trailer in the real world places I park. I know it may be hard to believe but yours truly, the PEIslander, is not superhuman. I would need to be superhuman to move the trailer pulling or pushing on those handle!

The consolation is they do look good and when unhitched I can clip the safety chains on them...

"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

Mitch

As we all know it's better to look good then to feel good, with that approach your mod is outstanding and incredibly worthwhile.