Having a lockable interior cabinet...

Started by PEIslander, July 26, 2015, 07:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEIslander

Seeing >> Paul's key hook mod << reminded me of a customization I had the factory provide when I ordered our small but mighty Camplite 11FDB. The same mod could be done by an owner of any Livin'Lite product. I had a locking catch installed on one of the interior cabinets in lieu of the standard non-locking one. My thought was at a campsite we usually have the trailer door either open or unlocked if we are around. There is the possibility that someone sinister (or overly curious) could duck into the trailer unnoticed. If they were thieves it is probably my wallet or electronics like cameras, phones, or notebook computers that they'd grab. I was aware that many motorhome owners install safes but that seemed like overkill. The idea of having one cabinet that could be locked seemed like a practical way to address the possibility of opportunistic thievery. The lock Livin'Lite installed is similar in function to their standard flush catches except it includes a key cylinder. The locking catch uses a larger (longer) cutout than the standard catch. The particular one they used has a chrome finish so it doesn't match the other catches. I'm okay with that. Ours is on the wardrobe cabinet which is great because as one of the largest cabinets and positioned higher it is very convenient & flexible if we needed to lock anything up. Typically we don't use the lock but it does add some peace-of-mind that we could. We usually feel completely safe at campgrounds but I anticipate there might be some time in our future adventures that we don't & the little lock might find itself used.

"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

rideandfly

Good idea!

When we purchased our 2010, would still visit LivinLite dealers and found we could open any pre 2015 CampLite door/deadbolt tested with our 2010 key. Replaced the complete door lock assembly.
Bill

Paul

2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS