Odd Tire Behavior

Started by Merlin, June 24, 2023, 10:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

I have a Maxxis 8008+ tire just a year old that goes flat when underway but holds air perfectly when parked. I'm taking it to Discount Tire this week see what's up, but I wondered if anyone else has had this type of tire problem. It's a 185/80R13 and I run 50 psi cold. There is nothing obvious stuck in the tire and there were no bubbles when dunked in a kid's pool (which makes sense, because it doesn't lose air when not in use). I'm wondering if it might be a problem with the seal between the tire and rim.
Michigan

djsamuel

Quote from: Merlin on June 24, 2023, 10:11:53 PMI have a Maxxis 8008+ tire just a year old that goes flat when underway but holds air perfectly when parked. I'm taking it to Discount Tire this week see what's up, but I wondered if anyone else has had this type of tire problem. It's a 185/80R13 and I run 50 psi cold. There is nothing obvious stuck in the tire and there were no bubbles when dunked in a kid's pool (which makes sense, because it doesn't lose air when not in use). I'm wondering if it might be a problem with the seal between the tire and rim.

An issue between the seal and the rim is the first thing I thought of. My car's rim has a corroded edge and it leaks faster when I drive it a lot.

Merlin

Discount Tire remounted the tire on the wheel and put in a new valve stem. It still leaked slowly and it wasn't possible to determine if it was the tire or rim, so I bought a new tire and rim. Plus, I bought a wireless TPMS from etrailer to monitor pressure on the road. I really don't want tire troubles on our upcoming month-long trip!
Michigan

Merlin

I'm now a believer in TPMS for trailer tires. I installed the TireMinder Trailer TPMS that is a solar powered wireless system for both pressure and temperature. For over 5500 miles, I had no worries about the trailer tires through all sorts of conditions, with the readouts right on the dash.
Michigan