sealing the roof around seams

Started by Rzrrider63, March 17, 2024, 09:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrrider63

I have a 2019 ATC toyhauler and need to seal all around the perimeter of the roof. What is recommended for doing this, as I heard silicone will not stick to the aluminum. Any advice on the proper product to get appreciated. I have a small leak in the bedside closet.

Merlin

Silicone is not your friend for that. If you mean the horizontal surface on top, I would use Dicor self-leveling caulk. If you mean the sides on a vertical surface, Dicor regular caulk is a good choice. Either way, the success will depend on how well you clean the area. You can't clean too much! A final scrubbing with alcohol will help get soap/grease/residue off before caulking.
Michigan

GoElectric

Merlin's advice above is excellent. I went with EternaBond Tape to hopefully be once and done.  You will still need to thoroughly clean before applying and a weighted roller to apply it. Wow, is it sticky, so be careful! It is suppose to last 18-35 years exposed to the elements. I put mine on the perimeter, around AC, vents, etc 3 years ago and still looks new. If I remember correctly, it was considerably more pricey than Dicor.
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  John 10:10

Merlin

I second the EternaBond tape, especially for large cracks or anywhere caulk is missing completely. It's good stuff.
Michigan

MikeT

Can you tape right over the old (cleaned) caulk?  It looks quite difficult to remove.

Merlin

Sure. If the old sealant is clean and sticking well, I've just taped/caulked over it. I have tried to not end up with a place where water can pool.
Michigan