Toyota Tacoma as a TV

Started by Sylvain, June 02, 2020, 07:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvain

Hello everyone,
Since the forum is fairly quiet nowadays I thought I would ask about this towing vehicule here.  We are thinking about trading our 2015 Silverado 5.3L for a Toyota Tacoma 4.0L.  I have always been a Toyota guy.  I must admit I really really like the comfort of our Silverado but I feel like it's just too large of a truck for what we need.   We first bought the Silverado thinking that we would later buy a truck camper but we ended up with our 13QBB which we intend to keep.  So here is my question, does anyone here tow it's CL with a Tacoma?  I was thinking about buying a 2015 since this was the last year of the 4.0L engine which I think is more appreciated than the new 3.5L for towing.  Please let me know what you think!

DavidM

Our 2013 Nissan Pathfinder which is a lighter TV than your Tacoma, tows our 16TBS very nicely. You should be fine with the Tacoma towing a 13QBB.

David

Merlin

Paging @charliem , a.k.a. "Supercharged Taco Charlie"
Michigan

Sylvain

Quote from: DavidM on June 02, 2020, 07:49:50 PM
Our 2013 Nissan Pathfinder which is a lighter TV than your Tacoma, tows our 16TBS very nicely. You should be fine with the Tacoma towing a 13QBB.

David

David, out of curiosity what is the engine and transmission in your Pathfinder?

DavidM

The 2013 Pathfinder has a 3.5 liter V6 and a continuously variable automatic transmission. It has tow rating of 5,000 lbs which was raised in later models to 6,000 lbs with no obvious changes.

My 16TBS is a twin axle model with a GVWR of 5,000 lbs and an empty weight of about 3,000 lbs. It probably weighs about 3,500-4,000 lbs loaded with options. Your 13QBB should weigh several hundred pounds less.

The Tacoma has a beefier structure with body over frame construction and a larger engine. I think that Tacoma can easily tow a 21' LL. CharlieM does with a super charged engine, which is irrelevant for everything but lane passing power and hill climbing at speed, not towing safety.

David

charliem

Quote from: Sylvain on June 02, 2020, 07:36:35 PM
Hello everyone,
Since the forum is fairly quiet nowadays I thought I would ask about this towing vehicule here.  We are thinking about trading our 2015 Silverado 5.3L for a Toyota Tacoma 4.0L.  I have always been a Toyota guy.  I must admit I really really like the comfort of our Silverado but I feel like it's just too large of a truck for what we need.   We first bought the Silverado thinking that we would later buy a truck camper but we ended up with our 13QBB which we intend to keep.  So here is my question, does anyone here tow it's CL with a Tacoma?  I was thinking about buying a 2015 since this was the last year of the 4.0L engine which I think is more appreciated than the new 3.5L for towing.  Please let me know what you think!
Sylvain,   
I tow a 21RBS with a 2013 Taco 4.0L. I use an E2 WDH. The Taco is more than adequate for your 13QBB. I do have the TRD belt driven supercharger but only because I planned, and do, travel and camp at altitude in the Rockies. At lower elevations  without steep mountain grades the Taco w/o SC would be fine. I think you're wise to look for the 4.0 engine. When they went to the newer/smaller engine they upped the RPMs for the specified performance: 278Hp @6000RPM. Engines just shouldn't have to work that hard. My 4.0 might generate that kind of power too if it could spin that fast  :D . You'll like the Tacoma. It doesn't do all like a big truck, but then, it's not a big truck.

FYI @Merlin :I didn't get the email notification from the tag  :-\ . Whatsup?
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Sylvain

Ok, thanks a lot again for your input guys!  Very appreciated.

Sylvain,   
I tow a 21RBS with a 2013 Taco 4.0L. I use an E2 WDH. The Taco is more than adequate for your 13QBB. I do have the TRD belt driven supercharger but only because I planned, and do, travel and camp at altitude in the Rockies. At lower elevations  without steep mountain grades the Taco w/o SC would be fine. I think you're wise to look for the 4.0 engine. When they went to the newer/smaller engine they upped the RPMs for the specified performance: 278Hp @6000RPM. Engines just shouldn't have to work that hard. My 4.0 might generate that kind of power too if it could spin that fast  :D . You'll like the Tacoma. It doesn't do all like a big truck, but then, it's not a big truck.

FYI @Merlin :I didn't get the email notification from the tag  :-\ . Whatsup?

[/quote]

Quick question for you Charlie.  I heard the Tacoma has a low roof.  I'm a tall guy at 6.2".  Do you think I can sit comfortably in a Tacoma without having my head hitting the ceiling!?  I haven't had the chance to sit in one yet.

Sylvain

Quote from: DavidM on June 03, 2020, 09:11:36 AM
The 2013 Pathfinder has a 3.5 liter V6 and a continuously variable automatic transmission. It has tow rating of 5,000 lbs which was raised in later models to 6,000 lbs with no obvious changes.

My 16TBS is a twin axle model with a GVWR of 5,000 lbs and an empty weight of about 3,000 lbs. It probably weighs about 3,500-4,000 lbs loaded with options. Your 13QBB should weigh several hundred pounds less.

The Tacoma has a beefier structure with body over frame construction and a larger engine. I think that Tacoma can easily tow a 21' LL. CharlieM does with a super charged engine, which is irrelevant for everything but lane passing power and hill climbing at speed, not towing safety.

David

Thanks David.

According to the manufacturer our 13QBB has an empty weight of 2350 lbs.   It probably weighs around 2800-2900 lbs when loaded.  The axle on our trailer is only rated at 3000 lbs so we can't exceed that I guess.

charliem

Quote from: Sylvain on June 03, 2020, 07:23:43 PM

Quick question for you Charlie.  I heard the Tacoma has a low roof.  I'm a tall guy at 6.2".  Do you think I can sit comfortably in a Tacoma without having my head hitting the ceiling!?  I haven't had the chance to sit in one yet.
Not an easy question to answer. I'm 5'9" and fit fine. No head interference that I've noticed. However I guess it depends on how those extra 5 inches are distributed: Heels to butt vs butt to head. You'll just have to find a Taco and check it out  ;) .
Any 20 minute job can be stretched to a week with proper planning

Charlie
Northern Colorado
2014 21RBS
2013 Tacoma supercharged 4.0L V6
E2 WDH, P3 controller

Steve and Dana

We own a 2015 Tacoma and I'm 6'2" and have no problem with "fitting" in the cab.  Plenty of head room.  Like its been said, find one and sit in it.

Sylvain

MikeT

Hi Sylvain,

Did you purchase your new vehicle yet?

Pinstriper

Sylvain

Quote from: The Thor FKA Livin Lite on June 23, 2020, 08:48:39 PM
Hi Sylvain,

Did you purchase your new vehicle yet?

Not yet!  I'm trying to sell our 2015 Silverado (2wd) first.  Not easy to sell a 2wd truck!  As soon as the Silverado sells I'll buy a Tacoma.

Sylvain

Quote from: Pinstriper on June 24, 2020, 12:09:55 AM
TANSTATMTV

You're right but I really want to go back to Toyota for the reliability.  The Tundra would be great but they are so hard on gas that I'm left with the Tacoma!