2017 11FK with off road package issue

Started by zonzin, January 07, 2017, 08:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonzin

I recently picked up a 2017 11FK w/off road package. I am concerned that it is really not that off road worthy, especially after damage to the wheel well trim on the drive home  (all freeway) from the dealer. There is only 1/2" clearance between the tire and the wheel well trim. Even the slightest articulation will cause contact as happened on the drive home. I really think serious damage could occur if I take this on dirt as is.

So my initial thought was to install a Dexter or Scamp spacer lift to give me a bit more clearance. However, when contacting Dexter with the axle serial number they said: "Unfortunately, you have the 3" HP brackets.  The lift kits cannot be used with those brackets." When I contacted the Scamp folks they said: "Yep, you have a Dexter #9 axle.  You want to order the lift kit for the #9.  We have them in stock."
On a followup question Dexter said: "due to too much stress on the frame for the height.  Only option would be to install axle with different down angle on it.
You currently have a 10 Down.  You could go to a 22.5, 32 or 45 down to raise the trailer. "

Scamp has yet to responded followup questions and clarifications. Additionally, Camplite has not responded to my questions about the issue.

Now I am in a real quandary as to what to do.

Can the 10 down axle be converted to a greater angle? What the 10 down axle spec'd correctly by LL?

I really need to be able to take this thing on dirt, that is why I bought it. Any suggestions?

rideandfly

zonzin,

Welcome to the forum.

Your 2017 11FK should be covered under warranty. Used to talk to Don at LL Service and he was very good to work with. Will PM his email in a few minutes, not sure if it's still a good one with the changes at LL, but please give it a try.

Hope this helps!
Bill

Pinstriper

So....trailer by LivinLite, axles by Dexter, and.... you called.... Scamp for.... advice.... ?

Maybe call Microsoft ?

djsamuel

rideandfly

Quote from: djsamuel on January 07, 2017, 09:57:13 PM
Don is no longer with LivinLite.

Sorry, to hear that. He is a good guy to work with.

Bill

pjcd

Lift kit, easy to install and depending on the axle, you can get up to 3" of lift.

tco2612

My 2014 11" with off road package has more clearance than that. I have taken mine off road in Canada and the UP with out any issues.I do have to watch for low limbs in some spots.

kybrowns1

I wonder if they installed the correct axle. You should compare axle numbers with someone with a similar trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zonzin

Quote from: Pinstriper on January 07, 2017, 09:49:06 PM
So....trailer by LivinLite, axles by Dexter, and.... you called.... Scamp for.... advice.... ?

Maybe call Microsoft ?

No I didn't call  Scamp for advice. At the same time I sent an enquiry for lifts to Dexter I sent one to Scamp. I sent it  to Scamp because of reviews on their product. My post is because I got a different answer from both companies. I asked for clarification, not advice.
Thanks for your constructive input though.

zonzin

Quote from: tco2612 on January 07, 2017, 11:24:15 PM
My 2014 11" with off road package has more clearance than that. I have taken mine off road in Canada and the UP with out any issues.I do have to watch for low limbs in some spots.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the label on your axle? I would like to compare with mine.

tco2612

I will get you some info later this week when it warms up a bit. -2 at 5:30 A.M. in N/W Ohio

pjcd

I got the axle numbers, contacted Dexter and they told me which lift kit, (which they sell ) to get. I installed it on my 21RBS with the help of my brother. Now, you might have gotten two different answers because there are a couple of companies that make lift kits for torsion style trailer axles.

Also, the original tires on the trailer posed no problem with clearance, however when I replaced them, I ran into problems, I ordered the same size tires but when I installed them they were much tighter in the wheel well. I doubled check the size and it matched up. Instead of returning them I just added the lift kit. It gave me more then enough room.

tco2612

Quote from: zonzin on January 08, 2017, 12:44:26 AM

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the label on your axle? I would like to compare with mine.

Now I have an inch of water under my camper but it is warmer

happyhiker

Quote from: zonzin on January 08, 2017, 12:44:26 AM

Zonzin,

I purchased the Off road package for my 14DB in 2014.  Here are some pictures.  I didn't measure the clearance, but as you should be able to see from the pictures, there is several inches from the top of the tire to the fender well.   The specs on my axle appear similar to yours, but truthfully I don't know how to read the label.

DavidM

It looks to me, after comparing Zonzin's photos with almost no clearance and Happyhiker's pics above, that LL installed the wrong axle on Zonzin's trailer. He needs one with more down angle. Work with your dealer to get LL to replace those axles.

Further support for this theory: Look at Zonzin's label. It says SA: 10DT. Happyhiker's says SA: 32DT. So Zonzin has a 10 down axle (10 degrees maybe) and Happyhiker has a 32 down axle (32 degrees). Don't add a lift kit. Replace the axle.

David